Thread: What's the best CMS for my friend

What's the best CMS for my friend

My friend wants to build a site, and Iím strongly trying to get him to use Wordpress (or another CMS). His site will focus on Bird Watching. It will need to do the following:

- Picture (gallery) (of his own creation)
    - User uploaded pictures
    - List of user spotted Birds
    - Post articles (ie a blog)

It doesnít sound too complex, but rather build it from scratch Iíve got to believe any number of CMS would be able to do these features.

Any suggestions?

Hi there,

I'm a fan of Joomla! which I've found to be fairly flexible and expandible. I know that there are photo gallery plug-ins available for the CMS (Googling them is probably the best way to find them) and the CMS allowed file uploads with various customisable settings. I'm not entirely sure how it would handle the user-spotted birds list. What do you want this list to do? Would it be one huge list of birds spotted by users or would it be like a scorecard for each user to work through? Either way I'd imagine that some custom PHP/SQL would be in order?

Hop this helps,
    Rob
    Last edited by Rob_York; 5-28-09 at 09:20 AM. Reason: because I can't spell
    I thought your dad was called Coco and he got hit by the milk truck! - Chris Griffin

Okay,
    Thanks I'll look into Joomla a little bit.

I'm not sure how this list would work, he wasn't very clear, but if need be I could write that portion of the site.

If you write your own PHP/SQL based program for Joomla! then there's an installation section in the CMS. I think you would need to supply a .ini file but I may be wrong (I'm a noob to a lot of this)...

Rob
    Last edited by Rob_York; 5-28-09 at 09:31 AM. Reason: because I still can't spell
    I thought your dad was called Coco and he got hit by the milk truck! - Chris Griffin

Joomla can do that but I would lean toward phpFusion going by your list. Whatever application you use keep it upto date.
    Croc Hunter MSC :