Thread: Affiliate Landing Page Question

Affiliate Landing Page Question

In the Affiliate Control Panel, I have the Powweb Landing Page set to: http://www.powweb.com as I want my visitors to go to the MAIN Powweb website index page.

However. I've just noticed that when vistors click on the link they are sent to: http://www.powweb.com/powweb/lp/special-promo-c.bml, which is a promo page.

Does anybody know why visitors aren't directed to the page I want?

Re-read your affiliate agreement. It looks like they decide where the link goes, not you.
    "You don't really understand human nature
    unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around
    -- and why his parents will always wave back."

-William D. Tammeus

Thanks Doc.

Unusual as it may seem, I read the the agreement from end to end. I even printed it out. I just did a search on the document and the words 'landing' and 'page' don't show up anywhere. There are references to 'links', but they refer to the links I use on my pages, not the pages those links take you too.

However. In the Control Panel there is an input box for 'Landing Page' and the explanation is:

PowWeb Landing Page - Insert the URL of a specific page within www.powweb.com where you want the user to land. If no URL is specified, the default landing page is www.powweb.com.
    If you leave that box blank it automatically puts in the powweb.com link.

In the Knowledgebase, the explanation is:

Question/Problem
    What are landing pages in the PowWeb Affiliate Program?

Answer/Solution
    A landing page is the page on PowWeb's Web site where your visitors will go (land) when they click on your affiliate links.

You select a landing page when you first sign up for your affiliate account. If you do not specify a landing page, your visitors will land on the PowWeb homepage.

Tip: To maximize sales and your commissions, choose a landing page with which your audience can identify. We recommend sending your visitors to our marketing pages so they can learn more about our services, rather than sending them directly to a signup page.
    Note the Tip: It specifically suggests that you don't send your visitors directly to a signup page, yet that's exactly what the promo page is. Worst still, once on the promo page, there are no links back to the main PowWeb website (except for the 'Signup Now' button).

It's not a life threatening problem, I just find it a bit odd. The page PowWeb choose seems to fly in the face of all their advice.

I'm still experimenting but I think I've found the answer.

If you leave the landing page default setting as 'powweb.com' the landing page goes to 1 of 4 different promo pages at random.

If you add '/index.html' to the end of the default setting, the landing page becomes the main powweb page.

The odd thing is, now that I've found out how to send my visitors to the main page, I'm beginning to like the promo pages....