Thread: Google Bot

Google Bot

I haven't seen google bot in my stats the last few months. Just the google adword bot. Anyone know anything about this? Should I be worried? Is this happening to you too?

Rick
    It's certainly something you should look into when Googlebot stops crawling your site. Google's Webmaster Tools console includes a crawl statistics report that you can check. You can also use the site: operator in Google to get a quick check of the status of your site in the index. Just search on "site:yourdomain.com". If it's the site in your profile, I just did a quick peek and didn't see anything obviously wrong. Best to check Webmaster Tools to see if there's any problems. Good luck!
    Rick Trethewey

According to google tools google bot was crawling my site in May (and I am guessing probably after that as well) and my stats show no google bot access during May. Found nothing there to indicate any thing out of the ordinary. I think it could be that the stats are not recognizing the google bot???

I temp. installed a piece of code that is suppose to show you when the google bot last visited you website. It says this month??? So not sure why my stats no longer show google bot.

Rick
    I wouldn't trust "a piece of code" without knowing how it works. It could simply be scanning your log files, which seem to show no visits from Googlebot. By now you should also see crawling statistics for June in the Webmaster Tools console. Did you do a "site:" search for your site? Do your site stats show any search traffic from Google? If you PM the URL of the site to me, I can take a quick peek at it.
    Rick Trethewey

Yes I am getting traffic from google and I have stats that show the google adword bot has been visiting. Url is in my profile.

Google bot is back in my stats again.

Registered
    ok guys, hope you can help me because i have a blog but am pretty ignorant about much of this, and am completely self taught and flying by the seat of my pants.

The blog is 3 months old. I got labeled as possible spam on blogger which held me back over 2 weeks, then that got taken care of. I've had some great luck getting linked to some high profile sites and have authority on technorati now of 8. About 6 weeks ago it seemed I was quickly advancing in viewers but then suddenly regressed. I've racked my brain trying to figure out what could have changed. Then I remembered the google bot hardly ever crawls my site anymore and used to crawl it 3 times a day as did another bot from hollis ny. Neither come anymore (hardly). Just did what you recommended above with webmaster tools and every day says:
    URL restricted by robots.txt
    Please, somebody help as I don't know what this means or what to do next.
    Thanks!

Registered
    OK, just read another forum that may explain my problem, and it was a thought I'd already come up with. It seemed the timing stopped about the time I start labeling my posts with lots of tags. (When it was crawling frequently, I was using no label tags at all.) So maybe this is the cause. So, now my question is, is there any way to get them back?