Thread: WMV Movies in my Website Opens in Quicktime Instead of Windows Media Player

Registered

WMV Movies in my Website Opens in Quicktime Instead of Windows Media Player

This is my first time posting on the website. I created my own website using Dreamweaver 8 on a Mac. I have .wmv movies (originally made with Movie Maker but converted to .wmv files) that I want the viewer to be able to open up with Windows Media Player if their browser is Internet Explorer. Those movies open up when being viewed with the Safari or Camino browsers, although neither Quicktime or Windows Media Player opens up so I don't understand how they're even playing with those 2 browsers. The movies also play on my computer with Windows Media Player when not in the Dreamweaver website, so I don't think the problem has to do with the fact that I'm working on a Mac. But when I upload them to the Powweb server, and then try to open them on my website using Internet Explorer, there's a problem. Quicktime opens instead of Windows Media Player, and a spinning ball appears and/or another website opens up that I think was Apple's site. I tried changing things in the Preferences for Internet Explorer but it didn't help. I also selected the file and did "File" + "Get Info" + "Open with" to make sure it said "Windows Media Player," and it did.

Also, I didn't embed those .wmv movies into my web pages; instead I created links to them from images. Embedding them created another problem in which they'd automatically start playing when opened up in Internet Explorer even though I put in a parameter of Autoplay False (in Dreamweaver).

Your help would be appreciated. Thank you.

PF

A URL to the page containing the links would help, and also make sure the correct MIME type is set
    MIME-Type File Reference
    PowWeb Knowledgebase
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

I have .wmv movies (originally made with Movie Maker but converted to .wmv files) that I want the viewer to be able to open up with Windows Media Player if their browser is Internet Explorer.
    What about the other people? Why don't you convert to flv (we have several threads about this) and use a Flash player to embed the video?

Also, I didn't embed those .wmv movies into my web pages; instead I created links to them from images
    Does the link open in a new window? You can still embed video in a new window. Remember, you have NO control what OS or browser your visitors use. You want to make it easier on your visitors. Most people planning to view media will have Flash player but not everyone can view wmv files as you plan it. You can change YOUR preferences but you can't change theirs!
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

Webmaster, DJ, Producer
    I think the best option would be to use the html5 video tag but also set it up so that if the browser doesn't support html5 yet it will have a flash fallback.

http://html5demos.com/video
    http://diveintohtml5.org/video.html

This is something that i'm considering for music preview on my website.