Thread: Found my forum disabled?

Registered

Found my forum disabled?

I went to my forum this morning and found it disabled??
    I was last on it last night and did not disable it myself. I have checked the administrator logs and the only entries are mine with no entry for disabling the board.

Should I start thinking that I might be looking for a hacker or could Powweb have disabled it to check to make sure that it is an active forum?? I have not received any message nor e-mail indicating that they have done so.

I have renabled the forum and everything seems fine.....

I think powweb would shut down CGI for your account before going in and disabling your board.

Powweb tend to shut off the CGI, as tpoynton says, so I'd make sure you have all recent patches installed and change passwords whilst you're at it. Powweb doesn't inform you until you contact them, if they've shut down the CGI. It would be worth contacting support just in case they have shut down the forum for using too many resources or other 'hidden' abuses.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

Registered
    Thanks for the responses. My forum is up to date and CGI is enabled. Other than the CGI error log, are there any other logs that I can check to see if there was unauthorized access??

Yeah there are HTTP logs in OPS as well. Sounds like you somehow accidently disabled the board yourself or possibly it was just a glitch.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

That would have been Me

There is a script that runs on a regular basis scanning the contents of your database for spammy looking content.

There is a weighting system to it and if it finds more than a few instances of spammy content then it sets the boad_disabed field to 1 in the phpbb_config table.

You can re enabled your board via the admin control panel and every thing should be well again.

However I want to take a look at your board. It sounds like it was a legitimate forum and our script saw something it thought was spam when in reality it was not.