Thread: I inherited this site and am a newbie!

Registered

I inherited this site and am a newbie!

Hi there everyone! Here's my story in a nutshell. My late husband was webmaster for his high school reunion group's site. After his death the group hired outside help to redesign the site. She became ill and unable to continue. Since I had Studio 8 on my computer, I was elected to do simple updates and changes. So far I've managed to muddle through. My background is graphic design and prepress for print.

Soooo, now they want to add some sort of private page where various committee chairs may post and possibly upload/download .xls files. I haven't a clue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

I'd simply add the page with links to xls etc files like you would any new page then password protect it via OPS. Are you hosted here at Powweb?
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Croc Hunter View Post
    I'd simply add the page with links to xls etc files like you would any new page then password protect it via OPS. Are you hosted here at Powweb?
    Yes, Powweb is the host. Do I password protect the page within Powweb Ops? What are our optiions if the members wish to post messages?

What's the URL to the site? That'll help others help you more.

BTW, the to add Password Protection using the .htaccess editor in OPS, go here - .htaccess Editor: Password Protection
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Yeah say your page is at /htdocs/login-area/secure-page.html has a form to post messages, links to xls files etc. You would go into OPS and setup password protection on the login-area folder. Anyone who tries to access anthing past domain.com/login-area/ will then be prompted to enter a username and password. Once they do sucessfully they will be able to access any and all content beyond /login-area/ You can create multiple user passwords to.
    Croc Hunter MSC :