View Poll Results: Have you used JomSocial and if so, do you like it?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have never used it...

20 100.00%
  • I have used it and think it's rubbish...

0 0%
  • I have used it and think it's so-so...

0 0%
  • I have used it and think it's great...

0 0%

Thread: JomSocial for Joomla! 1.5

JomSocial for Joomla! 1.5

Hi everyone,

Has anyone used or experimented with JomSocial at all? I'm deliberating trying to run it on my site (once the site is actually built...) but I thought I'd ask for any potential feedback first.

Cheers,
    Rob
    I thought your dad was called Coco and he got hit by the milk truck! - Chris Griffin

I really wish people would stop using polls. Just ask what people think about something and don't limit their replies to what you think they should be.
    Last edited by Doc C; 8-11-09 at 06:05 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
    "You don't really understand human nature
    unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around
    -- and why his parents will always wave back."

-William D. Tammeus

Whilst the admins allow it, they will happen!

Back on topic , No, not used JomSocial
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

never used it, never even heard of it.

I had started a thread for Doc, a poll about polls, but then abandoned it before submitting

Quote Originally Posted by tpoynton View Post
    never used it, never even heard of it.

I had started a thread for Doc, a poll about polls, but then abandoned it before submitting
    lol.

I think here in our community there isnt enough active people day to day to ever provide enough results in a poll to actually give meaningful results.

The numbers are always likely to be very small and results are likely to sway in favor of one or the other options drastically.

I'd give tpoynton rep points but I'm all out.
    unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around

-William D. Tammeus

Quote Originally Posted by Doc C View Post
    I really wish people would stop using polls. Just ask what people think about something and don't limit their replies to what you think they should be.
    I'm very sorry, would you like to either:
    a) accept my apology or..
    b) refuse it

Quote Originally Posted by tpoynton View Post
    Genius!

Quote Originally Posted by Dbrazzell View Post
    I think here in our community there isnt enough active people day to day to ever provide enough results in a poll to actually give meaningful results.
    Very good point, I'll bear that in mind in the future.

Also, thanks for the comments on JomSocial. Apparently there are similar alternatives so I think I'm going to have a good dig through the Joomla! extensions library this weekend....

Cheers,
    Rob
    I thought your dad was called Coco and he got hit by the milk truck! - Chris Griffin

I choose option C: None of the above.

-William D. Tammeus

Now that's just being awkward lol...

The polls remind me of a(ny) political election. If everyone actually DID vote, what would the results REALLY be? In this case, several people who read this post did NOT try JomSocial, so we were not helpful. Had this question been asked on a Joomla forum, there probably would be very different responses or results.

For fun, go to a Mac forum and ask how many people use Microsoft Outlook!
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by YvetteKuhns View Post
    For fun, go to a Mac forum and ask how many people use Microsoft Outlook!
    Genius! Also, is it me or does MS outlook 2007 run very slowly on XP machines?

Genius! Also, is it me or does MS outlook 2007 run very slowly on XP machines?
    I don't use Outlook and I am using Windows XP 64 bit. I could ask some of my clients what they use. I think the people using Outlook 2007 are using Vista and not XP anymore, though. This is one of those times where you can go to a Microsoft specific forum to ask.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

This is one of those times where you can go to a Microsoft specific forum to ask.
    Good point, I'm not too bothered about whether it's just my PC or not, I was just curious if anyone else had noticed that the program is a little slow.

I think the mail has been slow and we are quick to blame Microsoft for software problems.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

...we are quick to blame Microsoft for software problems.
    Who wouldn't be? Outlook has now ground to a near halt but I've got a feeling that it's something to do with my RSS feeds so I'm going to investigate (or failing that delete everything and start again!)
    Last edited by Rob_York; 8-21-09 at 08:26 AM. Reason: because I can't spell

Rob, I won't even use Outlook and I am one of those that would blame Microsoft for some software issues. When it comes to websites, I noticed that many people add too many extras (addons, modules, plugins or themes). Any new feature can be a new problem. Adding RSS feeds and remotely hosted contents make pages load more slowly. How about those MySpace pages with too many apps and videos? Their pages take much longer to load. Temporarily removing one item at a time can help you see if there are any significant changes.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

Rob, I won't even use Outlook and I am one of those that would blame Microsoft for some software issues.
    I use outlook as I have a Windows-powered mobile phone, so I keep my calendar, contacts and tasks synchronised with my pc and phone. Also, I got hold of a copy of MS office 2007 pro through a home-use program for 17 which I'm rather happy with!

When it comes to websites, I noticed that many people add too many extras (addons, modules, plugins or themes). Any new feature can be a new problem.
    The RSS feeds I was talking about were just normal feeds off various websites downloading to my pc via the RSS module in Outlook. Apparently there are quite a few problems with Outlook 2007. My copy was affected by the "Dell Media Direct bug" and also, the auto-archive feature ironically caused the program to freeze or run so slowly that it was near unusable...

the auto-archive feature ironically caused the program to freeze or run so slowly that it was near unusable...
    I believe it!

I built a nearly identical desktop for my son. It started out the same but he installs games instead of Photoshop, Flash and other programs that I use. He visits different websites such as online games. He also installed Weather Bug which slowed things when he played games. I told him to uninstall it but he said he couldn't delete or remove it, so he simply disables it. He is good about keeping the software up to date and scanning for viruses or spyware. He even defragments his drive as he has done since he was 3 years old. He will be 12 years old but still doesn't have an email or MySpace account. He tries to be careful about what he does so he doesn't disable his computer or computer privileges.

My clients are not as computer savvy and seem to reformat hard drives often for various reason. Sometimes I don't think they would have needed to go to such an extreme, but they are not local and can't answer technical questions. I don't want to remote administrate for them, either. It is best not to know too much about them! I do like to see what apps or programs interest people knowing that my clients may be interested in them, too. Several of them have cell phones, use Outlook or add feeds to CMS websites, so you mention interesting points.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

My clients are not as computer savvy and seem to reformat hard drives often for various reason.
    I know I'm guilty of this on occasions. If the laptop is driving me up the wall and I don't want to pay to take it to a local PC shop I'll just wipe it all and start again. It seems to help with performance issues (for a while) as long as I've backed everything up!

Several of them have cell phones, use Outlook or add feeds to CMS websites, so you mention interesting points.
    I can't believe how advanced some technology is nowadays, which is why it's so frustrating when software such as Outlook doesn't work properly. Out of all the program errors I've come across, this latest blunder by MS is probably one of the silliest...

Rob

Did you look at your poll results? You should try the same pool on the Joomla forum and see what happens. It only really shows that 20 of the PowWeb forum members says they didn't use it. We still haven't had a response from someone who claims to have used it. It's like Gallery 3. Someone might want to use it but no one used it here.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

Did you look at your poll results? You should try the same pool on the Joomla forum and see what happens.
    Hi, yes I've had a look. I think I may well head over to the Joomla forum and see if anyone there has used JomSocial at all...

Thanks to everyone who voted and told me that they haven't used the software!
    Rob

I haven't looked at the software real close, but to build "community" on your website you could look at community builder and all of the associated plugins. CB has a large following and a lot of features and it is free vs. JomSocial which is at least $99.

Hi entrecon,

Thanks for the tip. CB is one of the plugins that I'm currently looking into. At the moment however, my main goal is to create a template with valid CSS and XHTML! ...

I think I'll give CB a spin on my local server before putting anything online.

Cheers,
    Rob

Registered
    I've used JomSocial and found it to be quite good.

Yay!
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design