Thread: checking states on 2 domains

checking states on 2 domains

I have 2 domains under one account. I would like to check the stats of each individual domain, but awstats on the OPS is giving me stats only for the main domain. How can I get the stats for the other domain? Specifically what I would like to check is the last time a spider (googlebot) visited the site. If this is not possible through powweb, is there another way to access this info?

You would need to install your own webstats for each account or use Google Analytics for stats for each individual domain. PowWeb merges all stats for one account and not one domain. Same for access logs.

You can use Google Webmaster Tools to monitor what Googlebot does for each domain name. That's what I do. You can also visit Google to see the last time your page was cached but that is not the same as when it was accessed.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by YvetteKuhns View Post
    You would need to install your own webstats for each account or use Google Analytics for stats for each individual domain. PowWeb merges all stats for one account and not one domain. Same for access logs.

You can use Google Webmaster Tools to monitor what Googlebot does for each domain name. That's what I do. You can also visit Google to see the last time your page was cached but that is not the same as when it was accessed.
    I have both Google analytics and Google webmaster up, but I do not see where either of them record spider visits, can you elaborate? The closest I see is a Google webmaster under the "diagnositc- stats" menu. But it does not give me a date of last access, just a point on a monthly line graph somewhere in August.

Google doesn't provide an elaborate chart like webstats do. I actually visit Google to see when the pages are last cached when I make a big update to see if the sitemap additions are found and/or updated. You may see when your sitemap.xml file was last downloaded on Google Webmaster Tools. You may visit Google to see that your index page was last cached 2 days ago while other pages were last cached 2 months ago.

Is there a reason why you need such details about how Google is crawling your website? Do you have a forum or something? Some solutions to monitor search engine activity can use resources, so I wouldn't use them regularly unless I needed to do so.

See this web stats solution or similar alternatives. If you choose to install standalone awstats for each domain, you will have to create a stats folder for each domain. That means your main domain may be in htdocs so the stats folder would be in there while your second domain may be in a subdirectory and the stats folder would go in that subdirectory. You would need to create a cron job to run the program every 24 hours.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

Google doesn't provide an elaborate chart like webstats do. I actually visit Google to see when the pages are last cached when I make a big update to see if the sitemap additions are found and/or updated. You may see when your sitemap.xml file was last downloaded on Google Webmaster Tools. You may visit Google to see that your index page was last cached 2 days ago while other pages were last cached 2 months ago.

Is there a reason why you need such details about how Google is crawling your website? Do you have a forum or something? Some solutions to monitor search engine activity can use resources, so I wouldn't use them regularly unless I needed to do so.

See this web stats solution or similar alternatives. If you choose to install standalone awstats for each domain, you will have to create a stats folder for each domain. That means your main domain may be in htdocs so the stats folder would be in there while your second domain may be in a subdirectory and the stats folder would go in that subdirectory. You would need to create a cron job to run the program every 24 hours.
    The main interest I have in knowing is that Google originally indexed my domain when it was under construction. Since then I have uploaded the full content, but Google still has the old "under construction" index.

I looked today on Google Webmaster Tools and see that the site was "Updated Aug 29, 2009" (yesterday), yet Google still lists the site as "under construction" even though it is not, and has not been for quite a while, indicating that the Googlebot has not in fact updated anything. The cache on Google for out of date listing is from Aug 17, 2009 12:49:52 GMT.

So I am just trying to figure out what is going on. According to Google Webmaster Tools, the bot did visit. But it apparently did not update the listing on Google which still has the cache from a week ago. So I'm trying to figure out why it is not indexing it after it has visited.

FWIW, I have both of my two domains both on subdirectories under htaccess. I can see on awstats that bots are accessing all of the pages on each domain there, last visit was yesterday Aug 29th.

The site in question is http://newstarttherapy.com/

I looked today on Google Webmaster Tools and see that the site was "Updated Aug 29, 2009" (yesterday), yet Google still lists the site as "under construction" even though it is not, and has not been for quite a while, indicating that the Googlebot has not in fact updated anything. The cache on Google for out of date listing is from Aug 17, 2009 12:49:52 GMT.
    I verify the date cached. Was that page accurate for that date? Does the "under construction" page still exist on your server? If so, remove it unless it is the same file name but with updating contents. Do you have a robots.txt file for this website? Do you have a sitemap.xml file for this website? If so, does Google Webmaster Tools have it successfully uploaded? If not, you can add a link to the sitemap from your index page. Are you using an .htaccess file that redirects to the new/current home page?

There are some threads stating that there are server problems reported by customers and confirmed by PowWeb support. Perhaps the maintenance will help. Since you included a link to your website from this form, the Googlebot will probably find the link and maybe that will help. I can certainly see the website when clicking the link.

I noticed that if Googlebot revisits, it can take hours or days for updates to be recached even if the visits are logged. You may see improvements in a few days but you can make sure you have a confirmed robots.txt file and sitemap in Google Webmaster Tools to help your chances of being updated.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

I verify the date cached. Was that page accurate for that date?

yes

Does the "under construction" page still exist on your server? If so, remove it unless it is the same file name but with updating contents.

It was the index.html. That file has updated content.

Do you have a robots.txt file for this website? Do you have a sitemap.xml file for this website? If so, does Google Webmaster Tools have it successfully uploaded?

Yes, yes, and yes.

Are you using an .htaccess file that redirects to the new/current home page?

No, the homepage is index.html which it defaults to. This is the contents of my .htaccess file. Does it look okay to you?

AddType text/x-server-parsed-html htm html
    DirectoryIndex index.shtml index.html
    AddType application/x-httpd-php shtml
    Options +Indexes +FollowSymLinks +Includes

There are some threads stating that there are server problems reported by customers and confirmed by PowWeb support. Perhaps the maintenance will help.

Would I need to do anything here, or are you saying maintenance will resolve it globally?

Would I need to do anything here, or are you saying maintenance will resolve it globally?
    Support is giving the same reply to customers, so I suppose you can submit a trouble ticket about your server cache problem just to let them know you are one of the people experiencing problems.

Your first website works but the second website doesn't? Another person reported a similar problem in another thread.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

Your first website works but the second website doesn't?
    From my side, both domains work fine.

I was only saying I am unable to get seperate awstats from both (ie I get one big awstats in the OPS).

Okay, the cache problem doesn't appear for you, just in Google?

Yeah, it would be nice to have awstats for each domain instead of just for each account. I agree.

Hmm... I still wonder if there was a server problem when Google visited your page that prevented it from being updated. Or will it be updated in a few days. You can create a sitemap.html page that has text links and link to it from your index page. But your index page is still not updated! Can you link to the sitemap from the second website from your first one? When was the first website last visited or cached?
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

Okay, the cache problem doesn't appear for you, just in Google?

That's right.

Can you link to the sitemap from the second website from your first one?

The sitemap is xml, and not linked to on the webpage. I can access it directly. http://newstarttherapy.com/sitemap.xml

When was the first website last visited or cached?

The other website (sharktacos.com) was cached Aug 22, 2009 09:47:27 GMT

So here's an update, the cache in Google (dated today) is now correct for the site, but the text of the listing itself is still from the old page, and looking at Google Webmaster Tools I can see that Google has still not indexed any on the new contents...

Webmaster, DJ, Producer
    If your website was "under construction" for quite a while then google will take a while to update as google times how often you update your website and this then corresponds as to how many times googlebot visits your site. Once googlebot servers notice your website is being updated more often then your site will be indexed faster.

From my location, I see that Google recached your index page with the current page contents but the Google listing still says "under construction". It may still be following the links to the other pages to list them. Then it should recalculate your ranking and hopefully change your listing title and description. Check again in a few days. We probably helped your sitemap get found by linking to it directly from this forum post!
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

From my location, I see that Google recached your index page with the current page contents but the Google listing still says "under construction". It may still be following the links to the other pages to list them. Then it should recalculate your ranking and hopefully change your listing title and description. Check again in a few days. We probably helped your sitemap get found by linking to it directly from this forum post!
    So this is weird: Google has updated the cache, but has two different listing for my site depending on the key words entered in the search. In one I get the correct result (search terms are "Julia Flood therapist"):

New Start Therapy - Professional Counseling and Psychotherapy
    Welcome to New Start Therapy, the private practice of psychotherapist Julia Flood, located in the San Francisco Lower Pacific Heights district. ...
    newstarttherapy.com/ - Cached - Similar -

But if I enter different search terms (search terms are "new start therapy"), I get

under construction
    under construction.
    newstarttherapy.com/ - Cached - Similar -

Note that the cache, and the listed URL for both are identical. Anyone know what's going on here? I'm surprised there are two listings. Is there a way to get rid of the outdated "under construction listing" or will it vanish in time by itself? The "construction" page no longer exists.

Google just visited your site and is now making changes. It should be updated within a few days.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

So now I received a message in my Google Wemaster Tools that Google had reviewed the site (I had done a resubmit request a while back in my frustration at things being so slow). This is the text:

"We've now reviewed your site. When we review a site, we check to see if it's in violation of our Webmaster Guidelines. If we don't find any problems, we'll reconsider our indexing of your site. If your site still doesn't appear in our search results, check our Help Center for steps you can take."

Now I am noticing that the site is not appearing at all in search results. Is this because it has been banned, or is Google in the process of re-indexing it?

I honestly don't know if there is anything wrong with it. I certainly haven't done anything intentional. I also can't really tell from Google's message whether they think I did anything or not. If someone could take a look at the site and let me know if you see anything out of line, I would really appreciate it.

If you search your domain name, the old listing appears "under construction" but the cached link shows Sept. 1st and the new page. Google is still working on your site. There may be some confusion since you have a German language version with similar contents that may be considered duplicate contents.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

If you search your domain name, the old listing appears "under construction" but the cached link shows Sept. 1st and the new page. Google is still working on your site. There may be some confusion since you have a German language version with similar contents that may be considered duplicate contents.
    The thing is, before I got the message, it was getting hits for the "under construction" page, and for the content of the current page (for example I could do a search for a unique sentence on the home page and get a hit). Now it only shows the non-existent construction page. So I was alarmed that there was a change in how it was indexing it for the worse. Do you think Google would remove an indexed site before they re-indexed it?

When recalculating your relevance to the search phrase, your site may temporarily disappear, especially if your site has no similar websites, no other pages listed and no external links from indexed pages.

Google has several servers and sometimes you may have one result on one server and a different result on another. I have experimented with clients on the West coast as I compare results with my East coast results. Remember that Google will give you cached results until your pages are recached. Your index page was cached recently but there were no other pages indexed or cached to add to your ranking.

I searched the first sentence on your home page and hoped your page would appear in results. But it didn't appear yet. Try to link to your website from MySpace blogs or something that may be indexed faster by Google. If you search http://newstarttherapy.com/sitemap.xml on Google, you find this forum thread but you do not find your own website. If you add a link to this page from your index page (temporarily), your other pages may get found faster. Of course, the link from this thread may get followed.

Hmm... I viewed your sitemap.xml file. You only have a few pages in English and the same pages in German. You submitted duplicate pages to Google! Also, you must be consistent when including or excluding "www." in your domain name.

If you're having problems submitting a Sitemap, make sure that the URLs in your Sitemap include the URL of your site exactly as it appears in your Webmaster Tools account. For example, if you have added the site http://www.example.com to Webmaster Tools, don't list URLs in this format: http://example.com/home.html. Instead, use http:///www.example.com/home.html.
    quote from http://www.google.com/support/webmas...&answer=156184

If you are providing services in your location in California, you should focus on English and specify United States in Google Webmaster Tools. I didn't think there were that many German speaking people in California. Most of my relatives that speak German have died, so it isn't common here anymore in Pennsylvania Dutch territory. You can try temporarily removing the URLs for the German pages for your sitemap. Google can choose to follow links form your website and Google can decide if/how to index the German pages. Google will translate pages to another language in its results and really only wants people to submit English websites to Google.com.

See Google's info about duplicate content and ways to resolve penalties or removal.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

you must be consistent when including or excluding "www." in your domain name.
    I'm not sure what you mean here. The sitemap consistently excludes the "www". Could you explain?

Regarding the German, there are quite a few German speakers here, and so the content is quite relevant for them, and the content needs to stay. However most of them would be bilingual, and search for the site in English initially. So if the German part was accessible to surfers, but not included in the sitemap and not indexed by Google that would be fine. Do you think that would solve the hypothetical problem with Google thinking it has "duplicate content"?

I was a bit surprised to hear that Google would regard a translation as duplicate content. I did a bit of digging and found this statement from Google:

"Though we do offer a handy translation utility, our algorithms won't view the same article written in English and Spanish as duplicate content."

source: Official Google Webmaster Blog

The sitemap consistently excludes the "www". Could you explain?
    In Google Webmaster Tools, the dashboard url should be the same as your sitemap.xml urls, your internal links and your external links. If you exchange links with another website, that website should exclude the "www." as you did.

"Though we do offer a handy translation utility, our algorithms won't view the same article written in English and Spanish as duplicate content."
    This post was made in 2006. It is possible that the current algorithm may consider the pages duplicate contents. I didn't post links to the discussions I read since no official word posted the current and accurate information to quote.

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...licate+content as of June 28, 2009 is more current.

Finally, make good use of the rel="canonical" attribute to reduce the indexing of duplicate content on your domain. The example in the presentation shows how using this attribute helps Google understand that a duplicate can be clustered with the canonical and that the original, or canonical, page should be indexed.
    Also read the article below on that page from February 2009 where this method is introduced and examples are shown.

This is why I am always reading. Things change and we have to adapt.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design