- Rep Power
Raw Acess Logs only cover 1 hour.
Lately I have noticed that my raw log files are only covering one hour.
They are indeed updated nightly and the raw log file (access_log_2009xxxx.gz)
is indeed placed into my root directory. However the log used to cover a 24 hour period,
now it covers only 1 hour. The file size used to average around 3-5 megs compressed,
now they only average around 300k (a dead giveaway that something was up).
I have checked in ops to make sure that raw log files are update daily and placed into the root. Is anyone else's raw log files not ccovering a period of 24 hours? -Thanks
- Rep Power
Any ideas anyone?
Originally Posted by smcone
I took a look at your issue.
Its pretty strange. The .gz files in the stats folder are correct. If you download it with ftp and look at it you will see that all 24 hours of the day are there. However if you look at it via the control panel it truncates the file and only shows you the first hour. Which is pretty strange. The web server shouldn't be able to interfere with a file like that.
Ill keep looking to see if I can discover the root cause.
You wouldn't happen to be using firefox would you?
Firefox said it downloaded the entire file
Date Tue, 06 Oct 2009 21:11:48 GMT
Last-Modified Tue, 06 Oct 2009 05:40:10 GMT
Cache-Control max-age=14400, public
Expires Wed, 07 Oct 2009 01:11:47 GMT
The content length field is what is important. 407802 is 398kb. So firefox is downloading the entire file. However its doing its own parsing and truncating the file down to just the first hour. If you look at that data alone its only 150kb or so.
I loaded up the control panel in Internet Explorer and went to the log file and it prompted me to download the file. It then then proceeded to download the .gz file which I then opened up on my local pc and sure enough all of the data was there just like it was supposed to be.
It would appear that in this case the problem is all on firefox. Which is interesting since usually its the other way around.
- Rep Power
No. I am using a FTP client to download the file.
I do not use a Internet browser for anything other than being on the Internet.
I use a standard FTP client for all uploads and downloads.
If I look at the file after I decompress it-it is of course, now a text file.
Looking at the first line of the text file, I see the beginning time, and at the last line,
the final time. The total elasped time is only ONE HOUR. - on each days log file.
This has only started to happen maybe a month or 2 ago.
I really need these log files to cover a little more time!
Before Poweb sold, the log files used to be real-time, I had to adjust
to the fact that they are no longer real time.
But, I need log files to see if other sites are hot linking files without my permission,
in other words - stealing any of my IP. People on Ebay are nortorious for hot-linking
my technical data onto their aution listings.
- Rep Power
I have found the problem-Winrar was somehow truncating the file after decompression.
A new copy of Winrar solved the problem. Thanks for your effort.
Good to know.
I knew something funny was going on. I know for sure the entire log file was there I was looking at it after all.
Pretty crazy that winrar did the same exact thing as firefox. The odds of that happening are pretty slim.
That is very good to know Steve thankyou. I suspected IE was truncating some downloads being gzip via OPS (database backups). I'll upgrade to the latest version Winrar. Is Firefox.. no surely that's just coincidence.
Croc Hunter MSC