Thread: ? Using Ecommerce Templates shopping cart on PW

Question ? Using Ecommerce Templates shopping cart on PW

Am looking to set up on PowWeb an ecommerce part of my long standing web site here.
    And I could use some help.

So far the best looking package that covers what we want to do looks to be the script package from "Ecommerce Templates".

1) has anyone here used this script package on PowWeb? If so how did it go? and what issues am I likely to run into?

2) I will be using PayPal PayFlow Pro for CC handling. We have that system now set up and I want to stick with that. Are there problems with making this work on PW?
    == The seller of this template set says that PayFlow Pro php needs to be set up on my host. Not sure what that means except that it appears to be integrated into php.

3) SSL of course is needed for the purchaser to enter CC details. Do I get an SSL certificate from Verisign? I am willing to buy my own SSL cert. It is extremely important that we meet and exceed the VISA PCI criteria. But I am concerned about this on a shared server. and I see people here talking about ssl issues. In particular the purchaser should see the https link to our web site not to my account name. IS this resolvable?

4) What I do now is have the secure pages for purchases pointed to a local secure server and the SSL cert established for that. But I want to do the whole thing now on PW. Arte there problems with this new approach?

5) products include event registration, books for sale, webinar registration, and a Work Book & Cd combo that will be available both by mail and by download. Not a big group of things for sale but it is important for us. Do these products present particular difficulties on PW with this e-store package?

thanks in advance for your help.

1) Yes. Fine. Depends on your level of technical knowledge.
    2) No. You can set up - install it here.
    3) You can purchase an SSL cert from whoever you like but you cannot install an SSL here. Powweb offer one: http://www.powweb.com/product/ssl_certificate.bml I believe that one does not require your username in the URL.
    4) No.
    5) As long as you own or have copyright permission and the content doesn't violate Powwebs ToS there's no problem. Be aware some download / upload scripts may exceed Powwebs 60 second execution limit.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Smile

Croc,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the help. Those answers would seem to assure that at least I'm starting in a decent direction with that template script set.

Figure I have a bit to learn, of course. Cause this will be the first one that I've set up personally. But maybe I can find people here who can help. Or whom I can hire to help, if needed.

On the digital DL: Yes absolutely we own the copyright and all rights to the product. We created it. It's a presentation / discussion CD that parallels the work book. The contract for recording of it specifically retains all the rights to us and none to the studio. We basically are the producers and the content creators and own all rights.

Now to move ahead.
    I will look at the PW certificate, but is that route as secure as what we have now with a verisign certificate installed on the current server?
    [(misread what you wrote when I said I was thinking of springing the $ for a verisign one ot the cheaper GoDaddy certs. How do I buy a verisign certificate?]

On the script time out that you mentioned. The approach planned would be to have the e-cart send the client an email with a DL link to the product. An alternative that some people seem to prefer is to get a DL link right on the "order completed thank you page".
    So was figuring that I needed to set up a page that would DL the workbook (pdf) and the CD. And purchasers would have to login to that page do the DL. That would not seem to be affected by a script time out limitation, right?

Thanks

You really don't have a choice. If you want a https URL here without your username you must purchase the cert offered as you cannot install an alternate third party SSL cert on your account.

As far as secure, most https transfer MD5 encrypted data which is hard to crack. The further the data has to travel the more risk of corruption but we're talking in your case miniscule risk in either scenario, the difference inconsequential. Far greater problems for you would be credit card fraud or oScommerce code exploits. Be diligent with code patches and updates.

Script execution time depends on how it's written and operates. Say your PDF is 20Mb, the script executes beginning the download then closes leaving the d/l to complete there's no problem. If it executes beginning the d/l and remains open until the d/l completes, unless it completes and closes within 60 seconds Powweb may kill the process.

osCcommerce is pretty well written, developers usually aware of such limits factor them in but I can't offer any guarantee.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Wink

Croc,

thanks. I have checked the PW info on the ssl certs. It looks like the PW Geotrust will be fine. I have no trouble using that one. And it's on sale too until Dec 31 which means I have to get that decided on quickly, I guess.

1) Now I need to learn what I specify it to secure. Our whole domain name or do I want to put the shopping cart in a subdomain and get a cert just for that part of our site? When we started the 1st of the 4 parts of our online shopping venture a year ago, it was put on another server and that ssl only covered that specific subdomain. Now when I build our new shopping cart on PW. do I want a ssl cert for the whole url or do I want to create a subdomain here and get the cert just for a subdomain part of it?

2) on our DL product: it has two parts the pdf and the audio. They are 4.5meg and 79meg respectively. While I could package them in a zip or winrar file, I suspect that most of our likely purchasers might not understand how to handle the package. So far I had been thinking of one DL for each part. While I could make the zip self extracting, that might endup making it harder for people to DL thru firewalls and AV's. Suggestions are welcome on the ramifications of the two approaches.

3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Croc Hunter View Post
    osCcommerce is pretty well written, developers usually aware of such limits factor them in but I can't offer any guarantee.
    Are you telling me that the "Ecommerce Tempaltes" shopping cart package is built around OSCommerce?

4) Is there any PW info on handling PayPal PayFlow Pro on PW sites? That is the CC handling account we have and we want to stay with it? From what I have been reading, both claim to be able to handle PP PayFlow Pro. But what do people actually find about how well these packages work and handle the PP API's

5) I see Zen cart is another possibility to use on PW. Is it any better or easier to handle? And are both it and the "Ecommerce Tempaltes" likely to be equally as secure?

Ah nothing like a lot of questions from a beginner. I do appreciate the help. Are there PW people or PW customers who consult on accomplishing successful secure shopping carts?

Most only https the store part of their site. Whether entire site, subdomain or subfolder is up to you. You should be able to change the SSL to suit either anytime you like, but I've not used the SSL currently on offer. No one here on the forum made the SSL so it's best to ask those who did. Same with the templates Paypal etc. We can only give you general advice based on our experiences. I'd say by far the majority of Powweb customers have never setup an ecommerce shop.

To zip or not zip, 'tis nobler to offer several formats where possible. I thought you meant oSc ecommerce templates. If you give a link to what you're talking about someone might check it. Powweb doesn't help you with Paypal, that's up to Paypal if they want your business. I liked Zencart but went off it after spending weeks cleaning up infected Zencart sites. They were up to date versions but still got a nasty trojan. Additionally customers have reported some features of Zencart using Paypal fail here.

I doubt you'll find anyone willing to consult for free. It's quicker to just do it than hold someones hand and tell them what to click. I know people who quote with a clause that basically reads - if you want explanations double it, if you want me to show you how and explainations triple it.
    Last edited by Croc Hunter; 12-20-09 at 07:47 AM.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Croc,

Thanks again for the help with this. I am looking at using the central instal to put ZenCart in place for me. And go from there.

Think I will also put Xamp on my machine so I can test the web site shopping cart "at home", as well. But that's a later step.

First I think it would be a good idea to use a consultant to setup the site/cart for me. at least the first time this should improve speed-up getting it functioning.

So,
    1) How can I find a ZenCart & PowWeb knowledgeable consultant?

2) What is a speedy but safe tiem to allow for going "live"?

3) I plan to "put the site" in its own directory on my site (under Htdocs of course). is there a "standard" place to pout the cart or any ones to avoid? Want max security, of course.

4) am going to buy the PW ssl cert. So I need to know what part(s) of the site need to be ssl? My guess would be ssl from the moment one goes into the shopping part of my site, right?

Thanks & Happy New Year.
    Last edited by oops199; 1-6-10 at 12:03 AM.

You're talking to a ZenCart & Powweb knowledgeable consultant right now . If you don't have the second web site built I would point the domain to and setup Wordpress in /htdocs/site/. Then either use a Wp plugin shopfront or setup ZenCart in /htdocs/site/shop/. SSL only the shop folder. This would take me 2-3 hrs tops.

You can take it from there or I continue, creating a clean professional Wp theme and matching ZenCart templates, populate your catalogue database, setup merchant accounts, contact forms, mailing lists, anything you like. I don't use Install Central, I do full manual installs of the latest versions.

Feel free to PM me your thoughts if you want a quote, examples and so forth. I setup 3 Wordpress with ZenCarts last month. For quotes from others post your requirements in the Freelance Available Work section here.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Great.

have sent a PM.

Well the manual install went ok last nite. But previously the install Central had real problems. PW support says it ahd a "technical glitch".

But since then things have only gotten worse. And PW tech support has not addressed the current issues.

Files are disappearing from my shopping cart directory. When setting the permissions tonite I noticed that some of the ZC sub dirs did not ahve any files in them. ??? For at leas t some sub directories what was here last nite when I did DL a copy of teh whole thing are just not there now.

Don't quite know what to do. have added this to the previous a support ticket andam waiting for a response.

Also bought the PW ssl cert last nite. Got eh email saying I'd bought it. But can nto find anything in ops about it at all. What is is covering or anything?

help will be appreciated.

Angry

Well this has been a real mess. Not sure what all has been happening. But it's bad news.

** Files are disappearing from the manual install. My filezilla can't upload the missing ones from the DL backup I made last nite after teh install completed.

** I can't access the main store all I get is a blank page.
    ** Can't find the ssl cert I bought last nite.
    ** Support responded but has not answered my last two info updates
    ** No idea why installCentral didn't work. Support says a "technical glitch"

Am going to wait a day or so and then blow away this install and the directories. I amy try again or ai may give up entirely.

I am very disappointed.