Thread: Cannot stay logged in

Cannot stay logged in

I have 5 sites on Powweb - all Joomla sites, all with almost the same extensions and plug ins. I'm having a problem with my most recent installation.

I cannot stay logged in. It boots me off after a few minutes of work - very frustrating.
    I always have to log in 3 times - first I get an error message that' says "Your Session has expired. Please log in again". Using the same name and password I again hit enter and this time get the red error - "username and Passowrd do not match". The third time, same name and password, it lets me in.

But only for a few minutes then I'll get booted off. Often get "Invalid Token" error.

Another symptom is anytime I sort the article list or module list to show only a certain category or by date or etc -- as soon as I save the article, the list reverts back to the default alphabetical order immediately. None of my other sites do that.

Does this sound like a database problem to you?

I believe it is. I had a similar problem with log in on my previous installation too. Searched until it nearly drove me mad and came to the conclusion that no one has an answer for "Invalid Token"

Powwweb was no help. They immediately tried to scape the goat because I don't use the Install Central installer. I've been with PW for almost 10 years and just convinced this last client to move from GD to here. That is the first time in 10 years that I felt PW did not support me when I had a problem.

Now I have possibly the same problem again. This is now the 2nd consecutive installation that has had a faulty database created (if I am right that it is a database problem). Whose responsibility is the database creation if not Powweb?

So last time, I ended up just deleting and re-installing the entire thing. With a newly created database and new installation of Joomla, all problems vanished.

On this site, I do not want to re-install it all. But it's the only thing I know to try at this point.

So 2 questions - does it sound like a faulty database to you?
    and
    is there any way to create a new DB and switch to it without doing a joomla re-install?

Thank you!

Check your temp directory path and the permissions on that directory. When I was having similiar issues with Joomla it was due to an incorrect path in the PHP.ini file.

Have you checked the session and cache settings within the Joomla Admin to make sure those are set at a decent duration?

Yeah sounds like a php_sessions issue in php.ini. Also dump your cache and cookies locally and if you have a cache folder for Joomla empty it. You can't just switch to a newly created empty database as part of the install process creates tables and populates basic data in them for Joomla to run.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Thank you! Read your advice and then:

Made some changes
    In Joomla/Global Settings, Cache was set to NO - I changed it to YES
    Cache Time unchanged - set at 45 minutes
    Session Lifetime at 60 minutes
    Session Handler set to None
    ----------------------------------------
    Compared my php file from a site that's working with this one.
    Session Save Path was set simply to /tmp in this one (and there is a folder there at /tmp)
    however in the site that works well, it is set to /home/users/web/----/pow.mysite/htdocs/cgi-bin/tmp
    so I changed that too.

Not sure eactly what did it, but I believe that things are working now !
    Of course I am going to wait a bit to feel 100% sure --

but quick test of log-in to back end was good --- with no errors
    and I opened a list, sorted by date and exited to find the list left in proper sort.

Thanks to you guys here for helping me to look before leaping!

It was most likely the PHP path change. The sites I have had issue with also have the default /tmp which doesn't map right.

I think so too - the key will be remembering this on my next joomla installation...

Again I want to thank you for helping me out - I tell ya, working on that site when it wouldn't work properly was so awful.
    It was like experiencing sickness... and you guys were healers!!
    I've been enjoying working normally the past couple days!

Very very very grateful for you guys who help out!