Thread: New domain on current account - need to have Joomla work

New domain on current account - need to have Joomla work

Not sure if this is Joomla-specific or not, but... here's the background:

4 or 5 years ago (!!) I registered a domain name and created a Joomla-based CMS site for my son's high school soccer team. When he left a couple of years ago, I transferred the "ownership" over to the next person to run it. He did nothing to the site but make Joomla-based content updates.

That includes keeping the domain name payment up-to-date.

So, fast forward to today - the original domain (for this example, "originaldomain.com") has expired, and rather than pay for it to be reactivated, he has purchased a new domain name ("newdomain.com") on the same account!

What he has asked me to help with is getting "newdomain.com" to use the existing Joomla setup that "olddomain.com" was using.

Again, both "new" and "old" are on the same PowWeb account, so I have direct access to all of the /htdocs file structure.

My question: What do I need to do (file mods, permissions, etc) to get the existing Joomla data working on "newdomain.com"?

Thanks in advance!!!
    Roger Balettie
    -balettiedotcom-

... hate replying to my own thread, but when I solved my own problems...

I did three things:

(1) I updated the "primary website" from "olddomain.com" to "newdomain.com" in the Ops Control Panel

(2) I updated the "live site" entry in "configuration.php" in the joomla/htdocs folder to point to newdomain.com

(3) I updated the subdomain pointer for joomla.newdomain.com from "joomla" to "joomla/htdocs".

Et voila.

(whew)
    Roger Balettie
    -balettiedotcom-