Thread: PhocaGallery install problems on Joomla 1.5.15?

PhocaGallery install problems on Joomla 1.5.15?

I'm attempting to install PocaGallery on my site.

I recently completely deleted everything from my site (running Joomla 1.0) and decided to just start fresh with Joomla 1.5 since it had been a while since I had updated my own personal site.

I'm trying to install PhocaGallery but am running into a few issues with the install.

When I try and upload the component using the built in installer in Joomla, it will time out on me. At least I assume that's what's happening since when I attempt to install, it will take a while then comes up with the following 500 Internal server error:

The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.
    The script had an error or it did not produce any output. If there was an error, you should be able to see it in the error log.
    I then attempt to follow the FTP upload method as outlined here: http://www.phoca.cz/documents/2-phoc...roblem-solving

Only to be presented with the following error:

Component Install: SQL error or missing or unreadable SQL file. DB function reports no errors
    Install Component Error
    I have tried this using Chrome, Firefox, and IE7

Has anyone else been able to install this component successfully on the PowWeb servers?

Hah! Since upgrading to 1.5.15 I can't install ANY components whatsoever, and this is a very common problem, people are saying the /tmp directory might be incorrect, its not in my case, the components get uploaded there but then thats it, they aren't extracted and remain in there useless, and yes I've tried CHMOD'ing the folders that would handle the components to 777 and still no joy, I've checked the config.php file to check the tmp directory matches what it says in Global Config in Joomla, seriously I have tried everything lately to sort this problem to no avail.

I just read this on a forum though:

"The error about open_basedir restrictions is a security setting your hosting company has enabled. It seems that they did not set it up properly because they did not change the upload_tmp_dir setting in PHP configuration. So, the package is being uploaded to /tmp but when it tries to read it, it can't because it doesn't have permission to read from /tmp. You might want to try the install from directory option, that could allow you to get around this problem."

The above quote sounds like exactly my problem, the files are being uploaded to the tmp folder just fine but thats where it all goes wrong. Can anyone shed some light on this? Bottom line, since installing the latest version of Joomla I can't install any components, period.

You don't say where in the forum you found the quote - but my guess is it's from a member of staff and therefore the best solution, quoting the member of staff, is asking support to correct the identified problem.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

You have access to update temp directory in the php.ini. Go in and look at the file and check to see where it is configured to go and then check permissions on that directory, or set a new path.

Quote Originally Posted by entrecon View Post
    You have access to update temp directory in the php.ini. Go in and look at the file and check to see where it is configured to go and then check permissions on that directory, or set a new path.
    Checked that, all good, I've also tried creating a new temp directory and configuring the config.php to match and still no joy.

The zip files DO upload to the tmp folder but don't install from there, even though the tmp folder is writeable Joomla isn't seeing it or isn't authorized, this is so weird....

In theory I could extract the components and manually upload to the correct directory, thus bypassing this crap, but what a long winded chore compared to simply clicking one button to upload the entire zip, sorry I'm not prepared to do that when it should be able to do it that way, time is money after all.

The tech heads at Joomla are telling me its a server issue with my host, but I don't know where to begin asking my host where to start for a fix for this! I did try online chat last night and the guy hadn't got a clue bless him, I guess I'll put a ticket in and see if they can sort it in their own time.

Please try use the following steps to install components
    1. Unzip the components/module files in local PC
    2. Upload the whole folder to the server /tmp folder (instead of uploading the Zip file)
    3. Use the second option i.e. Install from Directory in Extension Manager Page in Joomla admin panel.
    4. Typed the correct full path to the component files e.g. /home/webxx/bxxx/pow.xxx/htdocs/joomlafolder/tmp/com_name
    5. Click on Install and you will get the component success message.

First option in which you can install from Zip files will not work as PHP zip is not supported in the server.

For me, updating the php.ini solved my issues. I've also not had issues at all with installing components...other than this one...???

Registered
    I saw your posting in the powweb forums regarding inability to install phoca gallery to a joomla installation. I am having the same problem although I have not upgraded to joomla 1.5.15. I tried following the instructions and the phoca error message I received was the same as yours. The Phoca page says this is because the php memory is set too low. The powweb default is 8mb and I set mine up to 172mb and still have the same issue. The big problem with powweb is that the uploader in file manager will not allow directory uploads. I would have to create all the directories in the phoca gallery zip file and then upload each file to each of the directories. I don't feel this is what I want to do. Were you able to find a solution to this problem? I am about to abandon the project and find another product to use. I did, however, find that the install.sql file is 0 bytes and wonder if this is really the issue. Can you help with this?