Thread: .htaccess Editor is SLOOOOOOW

.htaccess Editor is SLOOOOOOW

When attempting to get to the ".htaccess Editor" section from the Control Panel (and then any subsequent actions from that page), it takes *FOREVER* to load!

Other things from Control Panel (File Manager, etc) seem to load normally... any ideas why that one section is so freaking slow?

Roger
    Roger Balettie
    -balettiedotcom-

This one is kind of odd. Its speed depends on the number of files in your account.

When you run the tool, it has to go through every file in your account to determine which ones are .htaccess files and which ones are not.

The more files there are. The slower it goes. Frequently it gets to the point where there are so many files in an account the tool simply times out and gives a 500 server error message.

That would make sense, then... with the (literally) thousands of pictures in my photo gallery, I would be seeing a slower response time than someone who didn't have as many files.

But... why a file-by-file scan? Why do anything other than a directory scan for the specific ".htaccess" filename?

Thanks for the response!
    Roger
    Roger Balettie
    -balettiedotcom-

This is what happens for me, too. It takes 5-20 minutes for the next page to come up after clicking ANYTHING in the .htaccess Editor.

YES...sometimes it can take an HOUR to edit/create ONE username/password. I do NOT have an exceptionally large site with tens of thousands of files.
    Last edited by Tim inHollywood; 8-24-10 at 02:37 PM. Reason: typo

And here we are 6 months after this post was started, and I too have this problem. I've actually never loaded this ".htaccess Editor" before. I just tried it for the first time today, and it never would load. Can't they fix this??

I would think we could at least be able to just define WHERE our .htaccess files are, so it doesn't have to scan every time...

PowWeb Staff
    It is one of the slower tools PowWeb has; along with archive gateway. I don't believe its really fixable. As somebody stated above.

What you could do is edit the file directory in your file manager if you know how. You could always Google your answer on how to properly input the script in .htaccess .