Thread: windows movie maker

windows movie maker

Its been a while, but this is interesting. I recoreded an MP3, converted it with media codec with no problem and when I imported it into windows movie maker to add still images to make my branded video, the original MP3 that was 7 minutes and 24 seconds got cut to 4 minutes and 22 seconds. Tried several times. Is there a limit on how long windows movie maker allows on audio? I have several of these branded videos to make and was wondering if anyone else had this situation. I am using a PC, windows vista. Thank you all in advance. Allen
    ars

I haven't heard of that problem before. The "media codec" may have broken it, import the original mp3. Are you running the latest MSWMM version 2(.2 from memory), you should be able to upgrade for free.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

windows movie maker

for some reason, the original mps from pr web doesnt populate in the windows movie maker import list. only when i transcode it does it populate. when i tested a longer version of an mp3 transcoded from a teleseminar i did, the length was 7.20 minutes. interesting.
    ars

I could try transcoding the mp3 for you. I'd be inclined to create it as Flash.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

windows movie maker

The format I think windows movie maker likes to import to the time line is the avi transcoded. I dont know if it would recognize flash? If so, then thats an option.
    ars

MSWMM is a very basic outdated tool. If it won't play nice you might have better luck trialing Camtasia, Pinnacle, WinDVD or some other decent video editor/convertor.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Window movie maker

Okay, I made it up the next ladder. So now I am taking video clips from my flip hd video and transcoding them through media coder to make WMV format for window movie maker. I used video tab> format wmv 8, bitrate as required, source is auto select and encoder is ffmpeg.
    Audio tab> wma at 64-160 kbps, encoder and source is auto select, resample is 44.1.
    Container> container is asf or wma and multiplexer is atuo select.
    Video bitrate> up to 4000 kbps.
    When I play the project in windows movie maker, it plays through perfectly. When I save movie using the first output selection, and play it back in windows media, it stalls in two or three spots. Would be interested in what I did wrong.
    ars

Could be messed up GOP frame rates, could be not enough RAM to transcode as fast as needed - drop to 3000 kbps - could be many things. Are your flip videos in mp4 format and did you try the Xilsoft convertor we talked about?
    Croc Hunter MSC :

wmv

I will change the settings to 3000. Yes the flip saves to computer using "other" settings and is a mp4. The xilsoft program confused me. I wasnt sure if its just strippes the audio or can take mp4 and convert to wmv or mp2 which movie maker likes and youtube likes.
    ars

mp4 uses very similar compression to flv. So similar you can often just change the actual file extension from .mp4 to .flv which youtube accepts. Otherwise if you need to edit the video you might get a smoother result converting mp4 to wmv using Xilisoft then edit in MSWMM.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

windows movie maker

Ahhh, replace media coder with xilisoft? Sorry, but which version of xilisoft should I get? Thanks a lot.
    ars

The latest version. You could use any decent converter/editor like Pinacle, PowerDirector, Corel VideoStudio or save your $$ and stick with MSWMM and try different output settings.
    Croc Hunter MSC :