Thread: phpBB - search engine crawl

phpBB - search engine crawl

I am curious how this works. I have a forum on my phpBB that is for admin only. It is not viewable by others and not accessable except to me even if it wasn't hidden from others eyes. Yet when I go to the phpBB admin control panel sometimes I will see that a guest is in that forum. The guest is bot such as google bot. Is google bot really being allowed access to this forum? How does it know not to put the contents in their search engine result??

Anything beyond what requires login access won't be available to search engines. Follow the 'Who's Online' link here sometime. All the 'Guest's' are mostly Search Engines, and they sometimes follow the login link because that link is publically available, but they don't have a password, so the 'search stops'.
    Last edited by snowmaker; 3-16-10 at 11:06 AM.
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Thanks. Yes it appears none of the off limits content is indexed. Still it seams strange that the bot will show up where it is not. I guess the phpBB looks at pages called and it doesn't matter if the actual content I would see as admin is actually delivered.