Thread: wordpress blog

wordpress blog

I have a site built with front page www.spindelsportsacademy.com and want to convert it to a wordpress blog.
    First, can that be done.
    Second, what is the best way to save the content and organize it on the wordpress navigation.
    Third, can I run ads on the side bar like my friend does at www.dieselcrew.com.
    Thank you. Allen Spindel
    ps. I am pretty good with wordpress and know which plug ins I would like, is there support in case I get stuck?
    ars

word press

Okay, maybe I didnt phrase my problem correctly. I will try again since nobody replied.
    I have a site for 10 years with powweb and built it on front page. Now I want to convert it to a wordpress blog. I saved all the files on my hard drive and usb flash drives.
    So, can I and should I just delete the files on the server and then install wordpress?
    If so, can someone explain how to delete the files on the server and install wordpress so I can begin to blog. I am very good at wordpress blogging so thats not an issue. The challenge is just initially setting it up. Thanks Allen
    ars

Rick
    Installing Wordpress is pretty straightforward. You need to start by going into OPS and creating a MySQL database for it. Be sure to record the server address, database name, user name and password. Archive your existing site by downloading it to your computer with an FTP program. Once the files are safely on your computer, delete all of the existing files on your site with the FTP program. Then upzip the wordpress archive on your computer and open the "Read Me" documentation that's included. This will guide you to uploading the Wordpress files to your site and installing it. Once the files are uploaded, you go through an installation form that will ask for the MySQL information for your database.

Inserting your old content into your Wordpress blog is not impossible, just cumbersome and mind-numbingly tedious. There's little chance of automating the process. Some of the old pages can be duplicated with Wordpress, but some of them will probably have to be turned into back-dated blog entries. Googler Matt Cutts made a nice post about securing your Wordpress installation that's well worth the read: http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/three-...-installation/

There are some plug-ins that are also worth installing: Akismet - blocks comment SPAM, All-In-One SEO Pack gives you nice URLs, and Feedburner pings the world when you make a new post. There are sure to be others you'll want to try, and the world is full of Wordpress themes so you can make it look good. Good luck!
    Rick Trethewey

wordpress

Rainbore, thats what I am talking about. You da man!!!!
    ars

wordpress

Hello World...I just followed Rainbore's directions and bingo, my blog is live. http://spindelsportsacademy.com/
    So, since that took less than 10 minutes to delete the front page pages and install it using InstallCentral, I now have the confidence to build a super wordpress blog.
    My question is, how do I log into the site to build the pages and add remarkable content that I have downloaded to my hard drive?
    Thanks for your help. Allen
    ars

.. bingo, my blog is live..
    Congrats. Good luck to you.
    ..how do I log into the site to build the pages and add remarkable content that I have downloaded to my hard drive?
    Well there's this link, Log in on the main page. That's probably a good place to start.
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

wordpress

thanks, i just put my glasses on. lol.
    Does anyone have a link or google search term that will bring up all the possible wordpress plug in's. I read about spam, url's, feedburner, vote, translate, poll daddy, follow, ezine article submissions, and just a few.
    Will that be accessable from wordpress or do I type in and it populates?
    Thanks again
    ars

Log in to your wordpress and use the plugin search feature, makes them very easy to install that way. Resist the urge to overload your blog with non-esential plugins.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

wordpress

thanks again.
    ars

wordpredd

got the key
    ars

wordpress

After changing my powweb site from a front page site to a word press site, it lost the www.spindelsportsacademy.com and went to this, without the www.
    http://spindelsportsacademy.com/
    When I try and enter the www.spindelsportsacademy.com url, it does not boot up.
    What will happen when visitors try and find me using the www first?
    ars

wordpress

Ops made the change for me as I am challenged in the html area which was the issue. thanks to ops I am back on track blogging and making video's. Thats why I am with powweb for over 10 years, wow, its been that long.
    ars

Beta tester
    One recommendation. Create a 2nd WordPress installation to test plugins, themes, upgrades, etc. before you deploy them on your production site. GL!

wordpress

Okay, I am really loving this wordpress blog. I just turned my blog into a video blog, or as the experts say, a vlog. Now, my students can watch the lesson plans and follow along. My question, is to delete the last page on the far right, on the top navigation bar where it repeats BJJ Conditioning. When I make a new page, it repeats it on the far right top navigation bar.
    www.spindelsportsacademy.com.
    This way, there are less pages on the top navigation bar.
    Lastly, how do I delete the scrolling "Recent Articles" showing my recent posts and make that "Category" showing High School Conditioning and BJJ Conditioning, matching the respective pages?
    Thanks. Allen
    Last edited by allenrichard; 8-4-10 at 05:46 PM.
    ars

Did you fix these? I don't see "BJJ Conditioning" repeated nor anything scrolling. Press Ctrl+F5 to refresh the page. To make links direct to a page you put the contents on the actual page. By default, posts appear under categories, pages stand alone.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

wordpress

ahhh, thanks.
    ars