Thread: Joomla upgrade via InstallCentral

Registered

Joomla upgrade via InstallCentral

I have a joomla site that was installed through InstallCentral that is out-of-date. I want to upgrade it to the latest version (at least what is available in InstallCentral 1.5.15).

When you press the "Upgrade" button, there is a note that says "Upgrading this application will overwrite any changes you've made to the original files distributed as part of this application."

I assume this means that if you made hand-edited changes to template files, etc. those are what will have to be re-done, but any extensions, components, plugins that you have installed will remain intact (since installing these items change "original files distributed as part of this application").

Is this a correct assumption?

What version of Joomla do you have currently installed?

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by entrecon View Post
    What version of Joomla do you have currently installed?
    The previously available version from InstallCentral -- 1.5.6 (I know, bad news, gotta get it upgraded ).

And one more question if I may: The lastest Joomla available in InstallCentral is 1.5.15 (but the latest from joomla.org is 1.5.18). If I use the joomla.org upgrade patches to upgrade, am I not going to be able to use InstallCentral to upgrade if InstallCentral goes to say (1.5.24) in some future update?

Thanks in advance!!!

I would say to go ahead and do a manual upgrade and manually upgrade from here on out. Install Central is usually a few versions behind.

I also trust myself to do an upgrade before I trust an automated script to do it. In theory, an upgrade from 1.5.6 to 1.5.15 should not kill the extensions you have added, but since I have never used Install Central, I won't swear to what that upgrade script actually does.

No matter which way you go, make sure to back-up all your site files and the database.

Registered
    entrecon, thanks for you comments. I did a manual upgrade on a 1.5.15 site to 1.5.18 with no problems, so I will most likely do the same for my 1.5.6 site as well. Joomla just makes it so darn easy to upgrade, I was wondering what the benefit of InstallCentral's upgrade was.

The other thing that I noticed when I upgraded my 1.5.15 to 1.5.18, while the site correctly reported it was at 1.5.18, InstallCentral still reported that it was at 1.5.15 (which is what it knew it installed). So it seems that once you go manual you should not go back as InstallCentral is probably just loaded to do updates from the version that it installted (or last updated) to the current version that InstallCentral has loaded.

Thanks again for your quick responses!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    So it seems that once you go manual you should not go back as InstallCentral is probably just loaded to do updates from the version that it installted (or last updated) to the current version that InstallCentral has loaded.

Thanks again for your quick responses!!
    Others have reported problems if they 'go back' to using Install Central after manual updates. Install Central is provided for those without the skills/confidence to use the manual route, but isn't recommended by many who use the forums (even for a novice).
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by IanS View Post
    Others have reported problems if they 'go back' to using Install Central after manual updates. Install Central is provided for those without the skills/confidence to use the manual route, but isn't recommended by many who use the forums (even for a novice).
    "without the skills/confidence to use the manual route"? Wow, how difficult is it to FTP files up to a server? ;-)

I really like InstallCentral to get the initial install laid down, makes that pretty darn easy (not that installing from scratch is that difficult either).

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    "without the skills/confidence to use the manual route"? Wow, how difficult is it to FTP files up to a server? ;-)

I really like InstallCentral to get the initial install laid down, makes that pretty darn easy (not that installing from scratch is that difficult either).
    It's not difficult to FTP files, or set the database etc but some don't wish to expend the effort.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!