Thread: Someone reposting my index page text everywhere

Question Someone reposting my index page text everywhere

Hi guys,

I think this would be the same as spamming and wondering if it could affect my website ranking in search engines.

I just found some posts on Facebook and other social network related feed pages where my entire index page text has been reposted with no link back to my site. They aren't just personal Facebook pages either. They include company Facebook pages. This is a very very long post since I have a static first page with 2 months worth of news briefs that I write myself so it could number 60 or more short articles including quotes and links.

I could be wrong but I don't think this person understands what she is doing and may just be an enthusiactic fan thinking she is helping to promote my site. She even emailed to be an affiliate fansite.

I have to email this person but I'm not sure what to say about all this. Can someone please tell me how these posts can affect my site, good or bad. In the least, I would think it extemely irritating to find such a huge post on your facebook especially a company Facebook. And will Google penalize my website because of this?

Thanks!

Rick
    Unfortunately, when someone copies your content, it can sometimes hurt your search engine rankings. When the search engines encounter content on multiple pages that is identical or essentially the same, they try to pick the best (or "canonical") version and filter the copies from their database. They usually get it right, but it's not uncommon for them to get it wrong so you should take steps to protect your site.

Start by trying to contact the webmasters involved and firmly, but politely, demand that they remove your content from their site. This rarely succeeds, but it's where you have to start. Next, you should contact their hosting services and inform them that there is a website on their service that is copying your content. This is often effective.

You should also file a Digital Millennium Copyright Act notice with the major search engines. You can start with Google at http://www.google.com/dmca.html, Yahoo! at http://info.yahoo.com/copyright/us/details.html, and Bing at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyrtinfrg.htm.

I would also suggest that on any of your pages that have been copied you add a rel="canonical" tag and change any relative links to complete URLs that point directly to your site. Good luck!
    Rick Trethewey

Thanks Rick. I appreciate the reply. I wanted to be sure before I did anything.

My site did slip in ranking and I couldn't figure out why until I came across the reposting of my index page text and got suspicious.

Since this person has already contacted me, maybe an email from me is all it will take. I hope. Crossing fingers.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I'll do my homework.

Just an update. I put the canonical link tag in my index page html this morning when my page was listed on page 3 of Google and almost immediately it went to page 1 and as of this writing still is on the first page. Maybe just coincidence and Google had already figured out (after a few weeks of ranking on page 2 and 3) that I was the owner of the original content.

Should I put this canonical tag on all my pages (and new pages) or just the main page?

Rick, what do you mean by changing any relative links to complete URLs that point directly to my site? Can you give an example of what you mean?

Still have some emails to send. I discovered one site that had my site trapped in what I guess is a frame on their site. My url doesn't even show in the address bar there no matter what link I click on in my own webpage. Ugh!

Rick
    It's not necessary to use the rel="canonical" tag on all of your pages. The best use is simply in instances where a page might be accessible through more than one URL. The classic case is the site's root URL, which is often available as either 'http://www.example.com/' or simply 'http://example.com/'. It's also useful on dynamic pages where the same content can be presented in different order, such as product pages that can display items sorted by price or other factors.

Yours is another case where it can be useful. People who copy content, called "scrapers", often copy pages verbatim. So when you include the rel="canonical" tag on pages that are being copied, that tag will tell the search engines to use your copy and not the bogus ones. Similarly, using complete URLs in the <a>nchor tags on these pages insures that the links on any page that gets copied points back to your site - which helps in all sorts of ways in terms of the search engines, and sends any clicks the copied pages receive back to your site.

A complete URL is like 'http://www.example.com/subject/somepage.html'. A relative URL would be like '/subject/somepage.html'. Good luck!
    Rick Trethewey

Webmaster, DJ, Producer
    You could also try using Tynt Insight which just requires you to put a small line of javascript in the footer of every page with written content just before the </body> tag.

What this does is anytime anyone copied any content from your page, the pasted content also include a link back to the original page it was copied from.

It may not work on scrapers, but it will for people copying and pasting. And the more links pointing to YOUR page makes your page look like the original to the search engine and it will also drive traffic from the places it was pasted.

Oh and its free

I have now added it after someone actually thought that it was ok for her to copy my ENTIRE article and only included a reference to my home page instead of an actual link to the page it was copied from. I got her to change it to only some of the article with a link, but it made me think about the effects it could have had cos i spent alot of time on that one article.