Thread: Jump in Google Webmasters External Links

Jump in Google Webmasters External Links

Links to your site
    This table lists a sample of 493 external pages that link to http://www.domain.com/.
    Total links: 74,296.

For this particular Google Analytics account the usual 500 or so external links count jumped to 74,000 seemingly overnight. It's Powweb hosted. Has anyone else noticed this? It still only lists the first 500 or so verifiable links in the account. Virus, rogue bot..?
    Croc Hunter MSC :

There have been some mentions of some tweeks and changes to the way that Google is collecting/reporting information. I mean, it does sound like a huge increase and would be surprised if there changes did something, but you never know.

This is from the webmaster tools and not the Analytics correct? I think there is an option to download the full report.

Yes webmaster tools, I downloaded the "all external links" table. It has 638 legitimate links and some of their images are being leeched by a viral website but I guess it's the changes you mention or a rouge bot.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Rick
    Powweb effectively mirrored this forum by making it available via links using several different URLs, including at least one IP address. It won't affect your rankings in Google, and Google should largely sort things out on its own in a little while.
    Rick Trethewey

I have been noticing some funky changes, not in links, but in results found and such. Google is trying to make their search results a little bit more dynamic and indexing things faster. I have also noticed search results dropping quicker. I have been doing a promotion campaign for a new site and have seen wild swings in results for the pages found on the unique term.