Thread: Question about Website Builder

Registered

Question about Website Builder

Hi. I'm sort of thinking about buying hosting/a domain for myself for my personal use as well as for something else and had a question. I tried to do some searching on the board but I couldn't really find anything, so I figured I'd ask here. The posts I did find were from 2002, so might not even apply any more.

I'm not the greatest with HTML, and I certainly wouldn't be able to justify having the hosting if I were required to have coding knowledge. I saw on this page that it mentions a website builder- does this mean that you can use the builder to create your website and not really have to deal with the coding and such?

The gist I've gotten from the same page is that the hosting also offers CMS and one of the ones it mentions is Joomla, which I'm already a bit familiar with (I have a role play website hosted as a sub-domain due to someone having offered it and they installed Joomla for me to use due to my lack of coding knowledge). Would I be able to install Joomla and use it for updating/creating my website as well if I used PowWeb for my hosting? Or would I not need to and instead would I be able to just use the website builder?

I think that's it for right now as far as my questions go. Thanks to anyone who can answer!

Edit: to clarify, my ultimate goal is to also have a message board so that I can move over from the current board host I'm on (competitor name removed) to the one offered through the CMS if I end up going this route.

Also, if I understand correctly, if I pay for one year, I get the free domain which will be hosted...but I would have to pay for sub-domains?
    Last edited by snowmaker; 6-21-11 at 11:43 AM. Reason: competitor name removed

Yes, see Free Scripts from PowWeb for a list of stuff available. While learning even a slight bit of 'coding' would certainly prove to be helpful, really all one needs to make a website is a small amount of computer literacy, and mostly just the ability to read..

Welcome to the Forum, and if you become a Powweb customer, more Welcomes!
    Last edited by snowmaker; 8-25-10 at 09:12 PM. Reason: fixed link
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmaker View Post
    Yes, see Free Scripts from PowWeb for a list of stuff available. While learning even a slight bit of 'coding' would certainly prove to be helpful, really all one needs to make a website is a small amount of computer literacy, and mostly just the ability to read..

Welcome to the Forum, and if you become a Powweb customer, more Welcomes!
    I do know basic HTML due to having taken a few classes in college, but I'm not really comfortable enough with it to be able to, say, code a webpage from scratch.

So basically if I did decide to go with PowWeb I would be able to use Joomla and not have to deal with coding and such. Awesome. I think I might try it, so thank you for the welcome!