Thread: Annoying hackers trying to access wordpress without registration

on hiatus

Annoying hackers trying to access wordpress without registration

Some "usermane" is requesting a "username" in my wordpress blog.

I did not expect this to happen with my wordpress blog. I do not know if it is just users stupidity or if it is spammers trying to break into my blog. Either way, it is something that needs fixing. Apparently people are trying to log in without registering.

I have been getting annoying email messages that say essentially:
    SoAndSo (SomeEmail@somewhere.com) has requested a username at MyWebForumAndBlog

h t t p : / / w w w . M y S i t e . c o m

To approve or deny this user access to MyWebForumAndBlog go to...

That is not exactly what it says, but you get the idea. Click here to see an actual message.

So I am guessing that what is happening is that someone just clicks on "log in" and then requests a password instead of clicking on Register. But there are so many of these messages that I have to wonder if this is a spam bot.

On the other hand, the message says it is requesting a username, not a password. So this is some sort of wordpress spam and trick someone is using where they are bypassing the normal login.

And it does not make sense. Think of it. Some "usermane" is requesting a "username". How do they do that?

Try a plugin called WP Captcha-Free. It blocks comment spam by using a combination of time-based hash and AJAX. When a comment is posted the plugin validates a hash based on time. Comments posted via automated means will not have a hash or will have an expired hash and will be rejected. Unlike using a captcha, this does not place any burden on the commenter.

To install, in your Wordpress Dashboard goto Plugins> Add New> search for WP Captcha-Free and follow the prompts.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

I noticed this exact post has been put up on at least 2 other boards and not many solutions for it there either.

It annoys me when people do that, it's not against the rules but playing one forum off against another is unethical. I'm tempted to slap a ban on this user.

[edit] All four of their posts appear on multiple forums. User has been banned permanently.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

and therefore this thread is closed.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!