Thread: PowWeb thinks WordPress is installed in wrong directory

Registered

PowWeb thinks WordPress is installed in wrong directory

I need help with a plan of action that is failproof. Here is my problem.

Friend uses PowWeb. His wanted to change his self-hosted blog from Blogger to WordPress. Blog located at "www.example.com/blog". Here is what I did:

1) Installed WordPress via PowWeb facilities into directory htdocs/wordpress
    2) Migrated blog successfully into wordpress directory
    3) Changed the blog directory in WordPress to "blog"
    4) Via FTP, renamed "blog" to "blog-old" ... and renamed "wordpress" to "blog"
    5) Viola! Blog is now a WordPress blog and everything is perfect.

Soon we'll need to upgrade WP. PowWeb only shows WordPress installed in directory "wordpress." That directory doesn't even exist anymore! What will happen if I try to upgrade WP using the dashboard?

Question 1: My expertise is not in WordPress or SQL. What can I do to point PowWeb to the actual directory where WordPress is installed?
    Question 2: I am faithfully backing up all WP files and the SQL database for friend. Are these backups any good?

I hope someone with expertise in this area can advise. Thank you very much.

Hi Sidney, you can use the WP Dashboard to update your blog. It is the best method as new stable version upgrades appear there as soon as released, where as Powweb may take weeks or even months to offer the upgrade option thru OPS. So where OPS thinks it's installed doesn't matter.

Yes any backups are a good idea in case of a crash or some other problem. If you think you may need to restore a database backup at some point try to keep the backups under 8-10Mb to avoid having to mess around with splitter scripts.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Registered
    Even though PowWeb doesn't think WP is installed in the "blog" directory, I can still just update that directory from WP Dashboard? So what PowWeb thinks and what WordPress knows are two different things. That would be great. Sounds like you're recommending that method of upgrade always vs. going through PowWeb. Are upgrades via the Dashboard usually successful? (always seeing posts here 'n there about failed upgrades and blogs amess) What is OPS?

If I may ask a followup question: the backups are 14MB already. Makes me nervous. I'd need help (splitter scripts) if I ever had to restore. What is a good way to keep a blog from getting that big? Create a second blog and separate them by dates? Thanks a lot for your help, Croc.

Yes, yes, and yes. Yes forget OPS and always use the actual WP Dashboard to update. I run many WP driven sites, some pretty simple and some very complex and I've never had a problem with WP Dashboard updates. -- it can happen however -- Plugin updates are a different story as not all authors use one universal standard way of coding. The more plugins you use the more vulnerable you are to conflicts so always make backups before ANY update. I know it's a pain, but the one time you don't, is the one time something will crash.

Some run a second test site but that's very time consuming. Wordpress can create xml backups under Tools. OPS can create dastabase backups although they screw special characters up bigtime making them practically worthless (I need to submit a ticket on that). An FTP program like FileZilla can create folder/file backups (OPS can to, but again I've found it drops files making them near worthless too). Use WP, FTP and phpMyAdmin for backups.

14Mb - I bet you $100 I can get that down to 4Mb. Common sense things like deleting spam comments trackbacks and pingbacks, dumping auto-save posts and spam user registrations will take a big slice off. I don't want to say much more than that. PM me if you need paid help. There's many other ways to further optimise a database but they are trade secrets learnt over years and why I'm good at what I do. Besides, the alumni will hunt me down and kill me if I tell.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Registered
    Thank you very much! I do have a test site.
    I use FileZilla to backup all of the files and images.

* One confusing aspect is the two different methods I've found, including instructions from PowWeb, on how to backup the databases. 1) One is done from the Manage Backups tab where you click on a database, is is converted, and then you download it to disk. I had to do this to 3 databases and each saved as a dmp.gz file at 3.4 MB.
    2) Then I backed up the database via phpMyAdmin. Click on the 'one' database and click Export. That file was saved as a SQL file at 13.6 MB. If anyone has time to explain what and why there are 2 backup methods and outputs, I'd sure appreciate it.

However, are you saying I should forego backing up via OPS and do an export from within WP? I didn't think a WP export file took the place of database backup?
    Aaaargh.

There are several ways to backup your files/database. It's upto you to find what works best for you, experiment on your test site.
    Croc Hunter MSC :