Thread: YaBB (perl/cgi) forum stopped working

Registered

YaBB (perl/cgi) forum stopped working

My forum stopped working a few days ago:

http://www.bevvincent.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

On Internet Explorer, the browser reports a connection error, as if I were offline

On FireFox, the full page displays and then vanishes, saying "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading."

On Safari, I get the message "the network connection was reset. The server may be busy." Another time I got the message "cannot decode raw data."

With Opera, parts of the page display, and then it stops loading. If I hit refresh I am able to see more or less than on the previous load but never the whole page.

I installed Chrome and was able to see the entire page and even log in. Once I logged in, though, the behavior was the same as with Opera (where I was already logged in due to cookies).

This behavior is observed with different PCs on different computer networks.

My phpBB3 message board and WordPress installations on the same server both work properly.

I was able to view the front page of the forum OK just now.
    However, when I try to register things go wrong.
    Firstly the page refreshed with a connection error message,
    then loaded only part of the page. When I refreshed the part loaded and part displayed the script used.

I suspect support would get to the first part, look at the start page and see it has loaded OK and assume everything else works.

I can't offer any help on the issue other than to suggest it could be related to the issues elsewhere around the use of scripts.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by IanS View Post
    I was able to view the front page of the forum OK just now.
    However, when I try to register things go wrong.
    Firstly the page refreshed with a connection error message,
    then loaded only part of the page. When I refreshed the part loaded and part displayed the script used.

I suspect support would get to the first part, look at the start page and see it has loaded OK and assume everything else works.

I can't offer any help on the issue other than to suggest it could be related to the issues elsewhere around the use of scripts.
    The problem seems to kick in after you log in. As I noted, with a new browser that doesn't have my login credentials stored in a cookie, everything works fine, but as soon as I log in, the connection error begins. This is a sudden onset problem with a forum that has been running fine for years.

Registered
    Customer support took a look at the site and responded:

<<removed quote>>
    Last edited by IanS; 9-19-10 at 04:26 AM.

Registered
    This has been happening to me for more than a week (The one forum I have left here is at http://www.cloisworld.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl) All I got from tech support was that they couldn't do anything because they couldn't duplicate the problem. At least for you they're admitting there is an issue.

Sounds like your save_session path is not set correctly in your php.ini, if it is dump the all the stored session files.

OPS> Main> CGI and Scripted Language Support> PHP Scripting - You will see on the php.ini page something like this: /home/users/web/b1234/pow.username/htdocs

Copy that line from your php.ini page set php5 if you wish and scroll about 2/3 of the way down the php.ini code until you find "session.save_path = " replace "/var/phpsessions" (or session.save_path = "/tmp") with your true path adding phpsessions to the end like this:

session.save_path = "/home/users/web/b1234/pow.username/phpsessions"

Click Save and FTP in to create the actual phpsessions folder outside of htdocs. Test it. When you're happy save a backup copy of your php.ini file.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Registered
    YaBB is a cgi/perl forum, not a php forum. The phpBB3 forum I installed the other day works just fine, as does my WordPress install.

In the quote that was deleted above, Powweb support admitted that this was a known issue and that their technicians were working on a solution.

Registered
    Well, obviously the tech-heads haven't fixed the problem because even though I can load the first page, everything else it timing out. (and I am on a cat5 to Fios broadband so I don't think it's a connection issue on my side), AND I can connect no problem to my forums hosted elsewhere.

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandello View Post
    Well, obviously the tech-heads haven't fixed the problem because even though I can load the first page, everything else it timing out. (and I am on a cat5 to Fios broadband so I don't think it's a connection issue on my side), AND I can connect no problem to my forums hosted elsewhere.
    Yes, my problem still persists. My ticket has been converted over to something like "related to open issue"

Im betting the issue is caused by some funky .htaccess file you have in your account.

We recently upgraded from apache 1.3 to 2.0. This caused a lot of older .htaccess directives that are no longer supported to stop working. This is what people are complaining about in other threads. I suspect your issue is related, its just showing itself differently.

A good step to trouble shoot this would be to remove the .htaccess file completely from the account and test again. If that fixes it. Then I would review the directives in the .htaccess and see what could be removed if its not being used any more. Also if you have some directives that you wrote yourself or know to be "hacky" then I would remove those too.

Registered
    Thanks for your advice. Without any changes on my part, the forum *seems* to be working today -- at least in Google Chrome. I haven't added any custom hacks to my .htaccess -- its few content lines all seem to be vanilla/generic.

I'll play around with it, though, to see if it improves forum performance in IE, which is still dodgy.

Registered
    Getting rid of the .htaccess does indeed seem to resolve the problem for all browsers. Do you have any idea what types of errant commands might be causing issues?

Registered
    Guess I was premature in my assessment. Back to the same old troubles again. Must have hit it at a good moment a while ago.

Registered
    Well, while I didn't try to register, it looks like Bev's forum may be working - very slow loading however.
    http://www.cloisworld.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl is now forwarding to the board at the new server so checking how it's acting won't tell you a thing about matters at PowWeb.

Registered
    Yes, it started working all of a sudden. My first clue was that several days' worth of RSS feeds from the MB suddenly sprang loose.