Thread: Google picked up on domain problem

Webmaster, DJ, Producer

Google picked up on domain problem

The hits on my website have now dropped as some of the pages that where affected by the .htaccess domain redirect problem are now not showing in the search engine listings.

Havent received any messages or anything in Google Webmaster Tools, but it cant be a coincedence that the same pages that where affected are now not showing up in the SE listings.

So, what i want to know is, what can we do to get google to take notice they are back? Do we just have to sit and wait like before?

Refreshing the sitemap might do it.

Webmaster, DJ, Producer
    Do you mean "resubmit" as there is no refresh option in google webmaster tools. Google downloads my sitemap almost on a daily basis, don't see how resubmitting a sitemap its already downloaded would make much difference.

Maybe make some small change to your site so Google sees a difference to what it has cached..
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Rick
    You might stimulate a crawl of the affected pages by updating the <lastmod> data in your XML sitemap file, but it's not a sure thing. The odds are better if you've been keeping it up to date, but...

Generally speaking, short outages do not cause long-term ranking problems. Once your site is responding normally again, Google should soon see the same things that have given you good rankings in the past and all will be well. If you don't recover within a week or two, you could file a Reconsideration Request which should buy you a manual review of your site. Good luck!
    Rick Trethewey

Webmaster, DJ, Producer
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbore View Post
    Generally speaking, short outages do not cause long-term ranking problems.
    Funny you should say that, the pages are listed again and my hits have doubled. Which says one thing to me, i need to start paying more attention to the SEO of my other pages, lol.