Thread: How to detect the mac spy software?

Registered

How to detect the mac spy software?

Hi, I am wondering if there is some app that can detect mac spy software, like mac keylogger or something else. I am using a mac. Several days ago, I logined to my Email account, only to find that many of my emails have been already opened. I am 100% sure that I have never read them before. Is it possible that my mac has been installed with some spy software which can get my account information? Does anyone know of anything that could help me out with this please. Thank you so much.

Beta tester

If you haven't done so already, change the password on your mail account.

It is also possible you bumped some keystroke that did a "mark as read".

Also, what are you using to read your e-mail?

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by entrecon View Post
    It is also possible you bumped some keystroke that did a "mark as read".

Also, what are you using to read your e-mail?
    I never use the e-mail client. I read my e-mails just through the webpages. I remember I have ever entered this mac keylogger webpage. Is it possible that this keylogger may be automatically installed in my computer?
    Last edited by Emma28; 10-9-10 at 05:43 AM.

By going to the web page? No. Is it possible someone installed it remotely via some browser exploit or something? Maybe. It's possible, but MacOS has less attack vectors than Windows. And if I were going to install a key logger on a Mac, I wouldn't install one that cost money. I'd also want one that had additional capabilities, like spam email creation and remote desktop control.

Why do you think that this particular app is installed on your computer?

Beta tester
    Like satis said, it's unlikely that anything was installed "automatically." If someone has access to your machine, then that would be the most likely attack vector.

That said, if some hacker was reading your email, they would probably be savvy enough to mark the messages as "unread" as well. I hope you're not tolling or spamming us.

If you really want to be sure there isn't any malware on your system--re-install the OS, keep it updated, keep 3rd party software updated (like Acrobat and Flash), and keep the system physically secure. Anyone who has physical access to the machine can exploit it.

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by KitBear View Post
    Like satis said, it's unlikely that anything was installed "automatically." If someone has access to your machine, then that would be the most likely attack vector.

That said, if some hacker was reading your email, they would probably be savvy enough to mark the messages as "unread" as well. I hope you're not tolling or spamming us.

If you really want to be sure there isn't any malware on your system--re-install the OS, keep it updated, keep 3rd party software updated (like Acrobat and Flash), and keep the system physically secure. Anyone who has physical access to the machine can exploit it.
    Thx, KitBear. Btw, take it easy, I am not a spammer. I am just new to keyloggers and I've heard that some spyware may be installed to the computer by bundling with other program without our notice.

It can happen, most especially if you install software from questionable sources. It helps to google software to verify that it's reputable.

Beta tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Emma28 View Post
    I've heard that some spyware may be installed to the computer by bundling with other program without our notice.
    This is true, there are a number of screensaver apps that do this.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...reensavers.ars

Registered

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Emma28 View Post
    Hi, I am wondering if there is some app that can detect mac spy software, like mac keylogger or something else. I am using a mac. Several days ago, I logined to my Email account, only to find that many of my emails have been already opened. I am 100% sure that I have never read them before. Is it possible that my mac has been installed with some spy software which can get my account information? Does anyone know of anything that could help me out with this please. Thank you so much.
    I got the following way and it helped me a lot.

Step 1 Open the Activity Monitor to check for unknown process. This system tool will allow you to view the programs (processes) currently running on your computer.

Step 2 Check and Research any unfamiliar processes running in your “Activity Monitor.” Critical system processes sometimes have unrecognizable names, however, and keyloggers may have a name that sounds legitimate.

Step 3 Download and install a mac keylogger detector or another software firewall. This type of mac software alerts you when another program tries to connect to the Internet. It will detect a keylogger Mac before it sends information over the Internet, and allow you to block it..