Thread: Updgrading SMF board

Registered

Thumbs up Updgrading SMF board

I was looking in my ACP and I saw that when I have a message board installed (or really anything from the install central), it shows something with the link and name of the board and then "upgrade," but you can't actually click on it to upgrade.

I'm wondering if there's an easy way (for someone who's a beginner at having a host in general and also dealing with SMF) for me to upgrade it using the download at the SMF site without having to wait until the ability to upgrade (assuming I won't have to pay for it) is available. Also, what would I need to download from this in order to upgrade, and how exactly would I do so? The version I was given when I made the board is 1.1 and I'd really like to be able to upgrade it to any latest version that I can.

Is there any sort of tutorial/documentation about how to go about this without messing it up? The board I would want to upgrade is currently filled with members so the last thing I want to do is mess it up to the point of deleting the entire thing or something. It's not the biggest deal in the world if I just am unable to upgrade for whatever reason but if I can, then I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!

Make backups! If you're runing 1.1.10 you want the small zip file, If your board is older than 1.1.10 you want the large zip file. Download and unzip it on your computer and upload it overwriting your old files.

http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=340.0

Follow the guide on the SMF website.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Registered
    Hmm, okay. I'll definitely think about it...I don't know if I'm willing to risk screwing it up. D: Is there a way for me to upload what I assume is the backup file (I think I did it right) to a test board and then try upgrading it?

Yes you could duplicate your existing setup but doing that alone brings a whole new set of problems. It's quite straight forward, I've done it dozens of times for different people. I'll be out of town for a few days soon, I could help you with it, but I would charge you and you'll have to PM me quickly, within 24hrs.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

I will go ahead and warn you that this is unlikely to work on the powweb server.

The reason for this is the SMF upgrade process runs a script that goes through and modifies the database layout. Depending on how big your database is. It could take several minutes. This is an issue because php/cgi scripts on powwebs servers are limited to running for 60 seconds.

I just wanted to warn you as I have seen several tickets in the past where this had happened.

I dont want to discourage you, upgrading is a good idea, however it is difficult to do on our shared hosting platform. In the past when I was tech support. I was usually nice enough to move the forum and database to another server where the upgraded process could be done, then move the entire forum back to the shared hosting space. Im unsure if tech support will still do this. I would suggest putting in a ticket and asking if t2 could do it for you.

Registered
    Croc- sorry, didn't get your response to the thread until now. I responded to your PM, though.

Dbrazell- so basically there isn't even a point in my trying it? Is there any way I can find out whether or not there will ever be a time (preferably soon) when I'll be able to click the "upgrade" button that I mentioned in my original post without having to pay for it?

I don't really even understand why the option isn't available (unless it's a matter of my not having hosting with powweb for very long- I bought it in like mid-September), or why anyone who wants to use an SMF board through Powweb is stuck with version 1.1. I am definitely not going to pay for it, as I cannot justify it, so if I'm stuck with 1.1 then I can live with it but I'd rather have whatever the latest version is so that I have more access to mods and such.

You're not stuck with it - and others won't be either if they install the latest version now. It's the upgrading that seems to be causing the issue. I'd strongly suggest you take up the suggestion of asking Support for assistance AFTER making a backup yourself.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

How big were those databases Dbrazzell? I don't think Jedi's SMF is very big. Any I've upgraded I was able to get under 10Mb by dumping spam registrations etc first. They didn't run into script timeout or 10% resource abuse problems. On one phpBB I did pop the 75,000 queries/hr limit twice building a 460,000 row MySQL text search index. But I totally agree in any case, explore all your support options before you go paying a third party developer.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Registered
    This is a screenshot of what I was initially talking about in my post, where I can't click "upgrade."

So basically if I don't want to risk screwing things up with my board, then I need to open a support ticket instead of trying to do it myself? Is it going to cost me anything if I have someone through the support team do it for me? I don't have the money to be spending on the upgrade, so I'm not really going to bother putting in the support ticket if it's going to end up costing me money to update and go from 1.1 to the latest version.

Support won't charge (if they'll do the work!) It's not strictly in the area of support to do, but as you've been given the hint about what to do, ask for a Tier 2 support person to do the upgrade AFTER you've backed the database up. If they agree, they'll do the work for free, if they don't agree.... it'll still be free!
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!