Thread: Better forum scripts needed for my site.

Better forum scripts needed for my site.

Hey, I've been hosted here for many years, and have a ministry site (among others) online. Part of it that I really like is my chat forums. I've used a variety of them, liked SMF, the one it evolved into, and am now using phpBB. Each suited me well at the time.

The problem is that sooner or later, each one gets compromised, and I start getting spam ads in, even if I require admin-authorization of all new users. It goes well for a while, then sooner or later, someone finds their way in. Being a ministry site, I don't need drug ads and all that getting in.

So... Here's the question: Can someone point me to the most secure forum that you know of that is in the all-important cheap-to-free range? My finances are very limited, so I can't go out and buy some really expensive one. I could not really afford more than about $30 for a paid script.

I'm just getting tired of having to install new ones or do a wipe every so often to clean things up. I'd really appreciate help, as I want to keep the forums open to stimulate discussion, but can't tolerate the trash.
    Mark R. Magill
    Word for Life World Ministries
    Free Christian MP3 music, sermons, DVDs & more.

Can someone point me to the most secure forum that you know of that is in the all-important cheap-to-free range?
    This range of scripts will be open source, widely used and widely abused. You can read the following to reduce spam in phpBB.:

Preventing SPAM - Bots and Humans in phpBB

Anywhere that someone could submit data is an opportunity to submit spam. You can try to reduce it but it would be impossible to eliminate it as long as there are creeps who insist on submitting it.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

Every forum script (paid or free) has constant updates and requires constant attention. It doesn't matter which one you use they all are vulnerable.

Couple of suggestions to take a layered approach:

1. Using .htaccess, ban IP subnets of countries to your site. Korea, Russia, India, Turkey, and China to name a few. Blocking these countries IP subnets will stop most of the spam coming in. Of course if you are considering those countries part of your target audience then you won't want to do this. You can create your own block lists by visiting http://www.countryipblocks.net
    2. Use the Akismet plugin for your boards. http://www.akismet.org PHPBB has a mod on their side for it.
    3. Auto-lock threads after 10-30 days
    4. Require first (5 or 10) posts be moderated
    Autoload
    WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot, Over?

The link I posted had suggestions that work on more than just phpBB but it was posted on their forum for that forum. Thought it was appropriate here.

and am now using phpBB
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

You really shouldn't be having these sorts of problems if you are running the latest standard phpBB3 3.0.7-PL1.

EDIT: Which it looks like you are. Crank up the CAPTCHA and all other security settings in the Admin panel.
    Croc Hunter MSC :