Thread: Screwed up Wordpress Address/Site Address

Registered

Screwed up Wordpress Address/Site Address

I was updating some data on this website: happymediumsart.com, and wanted to change how the URL appears, to match a new URL that was purchased and that points to this site. I changed the "wordpress address", under "General Settings" on the WP Dashboard, when I did this, WP kicked me out of the Dashboard, and I couldn't log back in. I reset the password, but when I re-attempt the WP login, it is telling me that it can't find a WP-Config file, but I see it on there in the file manager, and it seems to be intact.

Obviously I did something that I shouldn't have -- how do I go about fixing this? (Powweb chat told me they don't do tech support for WP)

Firstly, if you installed Wordpress in a /htdocs/subdirectory/ make sure the new domain name is pointing to it in OPS.

Secondly, open the wp-config file and double check the dbname/user/pass etc entries.

Thirdly, Powweb does support Wordpress help for their customers as it is offered in Install Central. I'd say unfortuneatly you just got a clueless operator. How do you feel about editing the database directly? It's not that hard, in OPS click on the database then click the "Access phpMyAdmin" icon. On the left click the wp_options table. Wherever you see a row using siteurl, site_url, home, or blog name, change that value to your new domain name by clicking edit on that row.

Resetting a users password is done the same way only in the wp_users table. Click edit for the user, type in replacing the encoded password $DSghgfcxbgjff43mhf86VD with your new password and select MD5 from the dropdown list then click Go and confirm. If you go back to edit that user again you'll see the new password has been re-encoded.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Registered

Need a bit more detail

Croc - thanks much for the assistance. I am trying to follow your instructions, and am looking in the phpMyAdmin, but seem to be be stuck. As far as the URL or blog, the line that seems to correlate is "blog_id"; there is not an "edit" option; I can see "browse distinct values" which contains the detailed information, but when I check the box, and try to select "change", I don't see a field to fill in that info.
    I looked at the other items under "wp_users", and I can see the details under "browse distinct values", but when I try to "change", I am not seeing what seems to be an appropriate field to change. All I am seeing are the following:
    field, type, Length/Values, Collation, Attributes, Null, Default, Extra

Thanks.

When you login to phpMyAdmin on the left click on the database name, you should see a table called wp_options, click "Browse" for that table and then you should see siteurl under the option_name column. If needed correct the path by clicking "Edit" for that row.

If you can't get it just PM me your OPS user/pass and the new domain name. Be quicker for me to fix than explain.
    Croc Hunter MSC :