Thread: Help with wmv Embed

Registered

Help with wmv Embed

Hello, I have a problem with embeded wmv working on my site, the player is visible when clicked the video will not start and this is not just for me but all users.

This is the same code that worked here for years and last few months just stopped, support claims it should work if code is correct and I have tried many diff versions with no resolution.

Any suggestions of what the problem might be as I am far from being an expert but have tried many options on my own before posting here, many thanks in advance.
    Last edited by tcartr; 12-12-10 at 11:05 PM. Reason: removed code might be security issue

Link?
    Autoload
    WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot, Over?

Are you using a relative url or an absolute url to refer to the video? Try using the absolute url (http://www.yourdomain.com/path/to/video.wmv). I would recommend converting the wmv file to flv and use flv player to play it.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

Webmaster, DJ, Producer
    Me personally, i wouldnt use that kind of Embeding. I would look at HTML5 Streaming with a Flash fall back for people on older browsers.

I found years ago that embedding anything M$ caused alot of headaches due to compatibility problems from different browsers and OS's. This is why everyone moved to flash instead, because if everyone has flash installed the same code worked on all browsers and OS's.

HTML5 video tag has now been created for people who wish not to use Flash, but you can still use a flash fallback.

Google: HTML5 video tag

on that note, I've actually moved to people just hosting their videos on youtube and then doing an inline imbed of the youtube video. This shifts all the burden on to Google. I just ran into so many weird problems with wmv embeds that it quit being worth it. Using local flash embeds works as well, and certainly if it needs to be private. I used flowplayer recently for an app that I coded, and I was impressed, though there's a bit of a learning curve.

http://flowplayer.org/

PowWeb Staff
    I'd endorse Satis's response. We recommend hosting videos on an external site dedicated to the purpose. Particularly for large video files, the resources required are significant, and if you have a popular site, it's quite possible for your account to start affecting other customers. At which point, we have no option but to suspend you.

It's worth remembering there are a lot of online video sharing sites out there apart from Youtube - I know it can look a bit amateur to have the Youtube logo on there. For my own personal use, I have used blip.tv in the past as an alternate, but that's just one of many.