Thread: "Free Domain Name" ad on main web page

"Free Domain Name" ad on main web page

Hi all.

On the main powweb external web page (www.powweb.com), at the bottom there's a link with the text "Start with your free domain name".

I've been a powweb customer for many years, and I have a single domain hosted here. I'm looking to add a second domain to my account. If I follow that "free domain" link, whether I choose to add to existing account, or even create new account, the next screen shows the available domains, and the normal $16.99/year price.

Before I bounce this off support, has anyone actually got or added a domain for free? What's the catch I'm missing?

Thanks!

- Jerry

The 'free' domain is given as a credit once they've actually got your money for the hosting plan. It runs for the initial duration of the new plan (either 1 or 2 yrs) and is intended for new customers so you won't (or shouldn't) be able to use a credit/debit card that you've already got registered to Powweb for another account/plan.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

Thanks Ian. I'll just pay for the new domain name then. Domain names aren't that expensive, I just didn't want to pass up a freebie if it was available to me. :-)

It makes sense that it would be for new customers only, as they could recoup the registration fees from the new account fees. It was just a little confusing they way the free link appeared to give you the choice of new account or existing account.

Realistically, it's a lot cheaper to pay for the domain, and just link it to my existing account, than to take out a new account.

Thanks!

Agreed, if you're staying within the 'rules' for adding domains to an existing account there are many cheap options for domain name registration without a hosting plan.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!