Thread: Extending the range of a wireless network

Extending the range of a wireless network

I've read up a little on the options for extending the wireless network provided by the router/hub provided by ISP's (particularly those in the UK) and understand some of the limitations.

I was wondering if anyone can offer advice on the 'best way' that they've managed to extend a wireless router through thick (2ft 6ins or more) stone walls and at least two phases of electricity supply (if they've managed it!). Drilling an placing a cable is a last resort because of the thickness of the stone wall.

Thank you in advance!
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

after living in my house for more than 2 years, I discovered that the phones were wired with cat5. Had to couple some connections in the phone outlet boxes to get a single connection between router 1 and 2, but it works! I admired the electrician for wiring with cat5, but wished s/he would have done a 'home run' from each phone box.

It's a long shot, particularly in what I imagine is a very old castle

They have signal repeaters, but have never used them.

Quote Originally Posted by tpoynton View Post
    after living in my house for more than 2 years, I discovered that the phones were wired with cat5. Had to couple some connections in the phone outlet boxes to get a single connection between router 1 and 2, but it works! I admired the electrician for wiring with cat5, but wished s/he would have done a 'home run' from each phone box.

It's a long shot, particularly in what I imagine is a very old castle
    One part of the house is very old (see it here) with old (not that old!) wiring about 40+yrs old and another is new, 2yrs old with standard wiring so the option you're suggesting won't work (unfortunately!) - it was a long shot! (It's not my house, but that of a friend with only a little technical knowledge).

I hope a repeater will work, I was wondering if anyone has tried them - such as the 'Apple Airport' or similar.

That's a neat house!

the repeater is the easiest; were it me, I'd be searching around for ways to run a wire...under the baseboard (if carpeted), snaking a wire alongside other existing wires (hopefully phone is not run alongside electric), poking around the attic, maybe even running a cable outside (in an appropriately grounded/weatherproof casing)...although it looks like the newer part is brick too. if there is only 1 layer of brick, going through mortar isnt so bad.

repeater is the best option though it seems, unless they are a really good friend!

Might also see if the router supports any third party firmware to bump up the transmission power, such as DD-WRT or Tomato

Newer part is stone as well, with almost equally thick walls (although the signal wouldn't have to pass through that newer part, just into it. Unfortunately, wooden laid flooring and no common attic area. The only existing wires in common is to the main distribution board in the older part of the house to a new distribution board for the extension. There is no phone either in the new building part. (That's a different, although related, issue!) The router is a 'BT Hub' which is a proprietary branded version of something so unlikely to support third party firmware - BT don't even upgrade their own firmware, they 'sell' you another years service in exchange for a better router! (Not just BT in Britain, most do that.)

A repeater is looking more an more like the 'only' option and therefore the 'best' one. Has anyone here used a repeater through thick walls?

Any kind of crawl space to the house?

Beta tester
    Are both sides of the wall running the same electrical supply? Powerline Ethernet may be a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by entrecon View Post
    Any kind of crawl space to the house?
    Some - there's a little roof space above the new section, and space above the old - but they're separated by what was the outside wall - and the two aren't the same height so would have to make sure the hole drilled was in a common section.

Quote Originally Posted by KitBear View Post
    Are both sides of the wall running the same electrical supply? Powerline Ethernet may be a possibility.
    That's the way I'm leaning at present. They have a common input to the house and we're checking to see if they're on the same phases as I understand that if they're not then Ethernet through the power line isn't possible, but if they are then it may be. There are two distribution boards, one for the old house and one for the new section.

It seems to me from what I've read a powerline Ethernet link followed by a wireless repeater would do the trick. I think buying it online maybe the trick. If I buy online then in the UK we've 14 days to return it and can get our money back, theoretically without a problem due to the 'distance selling regulations' - although I've yet to test that theory!

I used a wireless bridge in my house. My internet connection comes into a closet in my computer room, where I have it wired to my switch, 802.11g router, 802.11n router, my 2 computers and my network printer.

I then have a second 802.11n router sitting in my living room that's linked with the 802.11n router in my computer room. I then have my home theater PC and Xbox 360 wired to router using regular cat-5.

If you've messed with wireless, you'll probably know it's never as easy as you would think. I have a degree in computer networking, but still sometimes have trouble getting wireless networks set up. However, since I got it set up and WPA enabled, it's been trucking along fine for several years now. Assuming you can get some level of signal through that wall, this may be your best route. The bandwidth provided by 802.11n isn't too bad... I can transfer 4GB files wirelessly in about 10 minutes, as opposed to 60 minutes for 802.11g.

I believe this is what I got:
    http://computershopper.com/networkin...g-kit-wndeb111

It's a set of 2 routers, so I knew I wouldn't run into any weird vendor compatibility issues, and I knew that it supported a bridge mode. They even have a button on the back to turn off the front panel lights, which is nice when the thing is sitting next to your tv.

Sounds like it is possibly what is needed - although tracking down a UK supplier wasn't straight forward I've managed to do so. I'm still leaning towards a link via the power sockets first though with this type of thing as an extra in the house if that doesn't provide all the connectivity needed.

Thank you everybody for you helpful suggestions and for mainly confirming that I'm thinking on the right lines.

Beta tester
    Let us know if you find a solution that works Ian.

I will do - at present my friend is concentrating on building walls and trimming tree whilst the weather is not too bad (low 40's F) so he's not keen on messing with computers indoors.

Thank you all for your helpful input on this issue.

When I got my set of n routers, I bought via Amazon. If that's an option for you, here's a direct link, though it looks like it's just via sellers on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-WNHDEB...6050972&sr=8-1

Or if you found a better seller, go you. Just be aware that interference killing your ability to set up a wireless network is still possible. If you can order from a place that has a no-questions-asked return policy, that may be prudent. I'm beaming through a couple internal walls, but they're not solid brick or anything.

A positive thing is that the fast n (which these are) run at 5ghz, thus there's less chance of other devices screwing with your spectrum. 802.11b/g and the slower n all use the 2.6ghz band, which tends to be heavily used. Also, 802.11a/n (both use 5ghz) have a shorter effective range. Believe it or not, this is actually a good thing... it means if your neighbor installs one, it's less likely to affect your own network. It's not unusual to set up a b/g wireless nic and pick up wireless networks from all your neighbors for 300 feet in any direction. Since you realistically only have 3 channels you can use, this can lead to major problems with interference.

I know one of the routers I had at one time was on the same band as a wireless baby monitoring system we had been given as a gift for our first born. It had a video camera on it so we could watch the little cherub (now turned devil) while he slept. Internet vs. watching sleeping baby...Internet won and we took the camera back.

Neighbours aren't a problem, unless the local sheep are using wireless as well!

Other equipment may be and I'm not certain about the wavelength thing as I do know that the US and UK use different ones in different ways. I would need a UK spec'd device, hence I would need a UK supplier.

on hiatus
    i don't know, is anything like that exist? if yes then it is so cool.