Thread: Google China etc

Google China etc

If I wanted my website to appear in the results of search engines in China would it help to have some keywords in Chinese writing or do things work different?
    Never trust statistics unless you fiddled the figures yourself!

www.seawitchartist.com

Rick
    Short Answer:
    I don't have any experience in targeting the Chinese search engines, but my instinct is that adding words in Chinese would be very unlikely to help your rankings in those search engines.

Long Answer:
    While the HTML specifications allow individual elements to have a 'lang' attribute, search engines assign language values at the page level. Generally, search engines make assumptions about the user's language preference based on several factors, but certainly including the language used in the query itself and the kinds of pages where the search terms most frequently appear. So, a page having a few words in Chinese that is primarily written in English will be seen by search engines as simply being in English, and that page would be very unlikely to ever appear in the results for searches in Chinese.

Even before language considerations, you would also be at a ranking disadvantage in China due to geo-location, which means that search engines favor pages from sites seen to be physically located closest to the user.

On the bright side, all of this matters much less if the search terms are unusual enough. If a user were searching for something like "left-handed corkscrews from Cornwall" (in Chinese, of course), and your site was strong enough in other ways, it could overcome the language and geo-location factors if you had one or more of those terms in Chinese on a page. You can rarely say "never" when it comes to search engines because they're changing all the time. Good luck!
    Rick Trethewey

Thanks for this Rick
    What I've done for the time being is to put some terms in Chinese text on a blogs page to suck and see, I've taken a closer look at a few things like the fact the Chinese call Shark fin soup 'Fish wing soup' and applied that approach too. This is what it's really about by the way, I've got a few pages on my site that are a protest against Shark Finning for soup, and a more intense blog that is a serious satire on the subject, if I get great results after all I'll say so here.

www.seawitchartist.com

I know that there are some firms out there that specialize in the foreign markets. Seems like I heard a podcast from one in Europe. They claimed there were a lot of factors, including having your site in the foreign language and even having your site on a server that was geolocated in the region. You have noted another thing that he mentioned and that is local terminology. That seemed to be a fairly large factor in his mind as well.

Rick
    I poked around a little to see if I could find any useful information for you, George, and didn't come up with much. Most of what I know involves Google and Bing/Yahoo!, but for China you need to work with Baidu for best results. And the only thing I could find was a page where you could submit your blog: http://www.baidu.com/search/url_submit.html

The page is in Chinese, but it's pretty easy. Just enter the URL of your blog in the text box that already contains "http://" and then enter the captcha code from the blue box into the text box next to it, and press the button. I can't tell you if this will do you any good at all, but it's worth a shot. Good luck!
    Rick Trethewey

Hi Rick
    Yes, I was told the other day about Baidu, I will submit to it, but apparently it's vetted by the authorities there in a big way?
    I don't think the pages I want to get on the Chinese search engines would pass them, nor would my 'Shark Fin Soup Yellow Peril site (see my links page) be met with anything but a dim view their internet Mandarins!

www.seawitchartist.com

on hiatus
    No one in China uses Google China, it's a joke. Everyone uses Baidu.com. If you want to get traffic from China that's where you want to have your website. I suggest doing some research on Chinese SEO.

I've been told that baidu does still take meta keywords into account, even though they are obsolete for all the other major search engines.