Thread: Preloader Questions

Registered

Preloader Questions

Greetings All,
    I would like to run a preloader while an existing SWF loads. The SWF resides on a free file storage site and loads to a container on Google Sites. Is there software I can access to code this. I do have Dreamweaver 3. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You need Macromedia Flash, Swish, Camtasia, or similar and a couple of months to absorb the learning curve. Did you ask at Google? They are pretty strict about off-site preloaders and content served from "free" servers. Read the documentation there.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Registered
    Hi Croc Hunter,

I have been reading the Google Sites help documentation and posting on their forum. I have had one promising response, however, I can't seem to make it work. At this point it seems like the best prospect for a fast solution.

Google sites does not allow direct posting of Flash files to their servers. I believe it might be some kind of security issue, but I am not sure. If you try to post something they don't want, you get a warning and the option to cancel the operation or have the objectionable code stripped away. You can post a "wrapper" which can link to a file held elsewhere. I have successfully incorporated a SWF slide show placed on FileDen.com that way, just without the preloader.

Thank you for your time and suggestions. I will check out the programs you mentioned. I love a challenge and learning. It is kind of you to share your expertise.

Yeah Camtasia Studio is easy to work with. It creates seperate html xml and swf files and a javascript preloader which could be questionable and be stripped out or blocked. Flash and Swish have the preloader built in as a sprite or actionscript and can produce the movie as one fla (swf or mp4 etc) depending on whichever output options you choose. I can't say for sure but doubt anyone would strip actionscript out of swf or fla as 9 times out of 10 it will break the file.

In any case you can add swf to GS > choose the "More" option from the "Insert" menu and search for a gadget that will let you embed an SWF file.
    Croc Hunter MSC :