Thread: WordPress + MultiSite Network + FaceBook Login Required?

Registered

Question WordPress + MultiSite Network + FaceBook Login Required?

Hey guys! I got a simple question. How do I go about installing the login button onto my wordpress multisite network or my blogs and make the login button the priority? That login is required in order to use the blog?

So far I think I installed the button on a blog but its in the sidebar section and it only protects the sidebar I believe. I need to know how to make the button make the entire blog disabled unless you login to facebook. Thank You. FaceBook is one way to stop spammers.

Making facebook handle all authentication is not that simple. Search your plugins.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Registered

Question

Well meanwhile I waited for a response I tested 2 plugins..

Facebook Social Connect Plugin
    Allows the use of Facebook Connect for account registration, authentication, and commenting. By Arcgate.

Simple Facebook Connect
    Simple Facebook Connect is a series of plugins that let you add any sort of Facebook Connect functionality you like to a WordPress blog. This lets you have an integrated site without a lot of coding, and still letting you customize it exactly the way you'd like.
    First, you activate and set up the base plugin, which makes your site have basic Facebook Connect functionality. Then, each of the add-o By Otto.
    but the FaceBook Social Connect was good but it doesn't do what I wanted it to do. And the Simple FaceBook Connect seams to be designed to do what I need it to do, but I think its possibly bugged and I can not figure out why I keep getting the error "FaceBook user not recognized." Makes my head hurt because the

APP ID, APP Key, APP Secret,

all that is exactly right and I got the URL for the blog right on target.

(Q): Does it not work with accounts with secure connection activated? or no? Or could it be something bugged in the plugin?

Because I also looked on the plugin comments and people have been getting a email sent to them from Facebook for using the Facebook connect plugin so I am thinking its got a few bugs in it.

Using Facebook is also a way to block some people from getting to your site. Many companies block social networking websites like Twitter and Facebook. If you use that for authentication, I know I won't be able to access taht part of your site during the day, only in the evenings when I am at home.

Registered

Question

Quote Originally Posted by entrecon View Post
    Using Facebook is also a way to block some people from getting to your site. Many companies block social networking websites like Twitter and Facebook. If you use that for authentication, I know I won't be able to access taht part of your site during the day, only in the evenings when I am at home.
    And that is my exact reason for using it too. I don't want just anyone accessing it. If I allowed the entire world to access it, you would have someone that would disagree with the message I share. So I limit it to Facebook only so that only my church friends can have access to it. I mean the world can probably still see it but they can not access it which means hackers, spammers, or any kind of threat to my site will have to have a Facebook account, which means if they abuse my services, than I can keep track of their connections through WordPress and Facebook and block them if need to. And also allows me more flexibility and freedom to getting my message across to those that need the message. Not want the message, but need the message. Since my site is basically a religious family reunion website and welcomes all Christians. we share sermons and music.. and I just want to make sure the privacy of my family is protected in the process so that's why I use Facebook connections. I have had this idea in mind for a long time so I have put a lot of thought in to it. so the whole design is centered around this Facebook login security protection. without it my blog can be easy accessed by anyone that wants to spoof their name or their email address. the email address is still spoof-able even through Facebook but.. they got to go through 2 connections to access my blog. and if that doesn't give good enough security I can always do a 3rd layer of protection someway. but 1st i need to figure out how to get this Facebook connection setup. i'm working with otto's support page right now. I noticed someone having similar problems with the simple Facebook connect plugin which may be the plugin i need to protect my blog. But you now know why I am setting this up and why this feature is very important. And also it reduces a lot of stress on me from having to manage all the connections and it allows people to access my blog freely if they already have a Facebook account. Later I plan on upgrading my websites connection to a secure connection so that people on Facebook, when they switch to my blog they switch to a secure connection automatically, if that's possible. Which a secure connection reduces spoofer threats.

EDIT: The website is opened up to the anyone that wants to view it but my goal is to keep it secure enough that only those that care about others can access it and use it. Because there's a lot I mean a lot of viewers that all they want to do is try to destroy. My website is about compassion. And I try to keep it to that but you just can not always allow your communication sections be freely used by just anyone because of the fact that it only takes a split second to offend someone and next thing you know you got a 20 min argument that turns into a hacker war. So I do not know anything anything about hacking but I do know I want my communication to be as warm to anyone as it can be and this is the only way to do that. There is a lot of fragile families on friends list. So that's why my job is to do that if I plan on having a communication system I got to protect their privacy. But anyways you should know what I mean. I use to be a hardcore gamer so I know how it is to meet some pretty mean people.

That makes sense. The only thing I was pointing out is that if one of your church friends works at a company that blocks access to Facebook, which many do, they will not be able to access the information while they are at work.

For most sites this is fine and a non-issue. However, you do want to keep that in mind in case you ever have a site that you want people to be able to contribute to/access during the work day.

Registered

Question

Quote Originally Posted by entrecon View Post
    That makes sense. The only thing I was pointing out is that if one of your church friends works at a company that blocks access to Facebook, which many do, they will not be able to access the information while they are at work.

For most sites this is fine and a non-issue. However, you do want to keep that in mind in case you ever have a site that you want people to be able to contribute to/access during the work day.
    ah I understand now what your trying to get at. But most of my friends have cell phones with internet connections. So its usually not a problem. We got a lot of people that work from home too. But those that work out at real time jobs, they carry cell phones around with the most of the time. Not sure if the connection around there will stop their connection or what but.. they have said they get a pretty good connection, the most of them anyways.