Thread: Pointing a sub domain to a dynamic IP (my home server) using a cname to no-ip.net

Registered

Thumbs up Pointing a sub domain to a dynamic IP (my home server) using a cname to no-ip.net

I have the following:
    • One simple webserver (HFS) running on port 4000 on a home laptop with firewall settings and firewall settings set correctly. I can view the site from outside my network by typing 55.55.55.55:4000 (fake IP for security reasons).
    • A No-Ip Enhanced account. I have mysite.bounceme.net set to the "port 80 redirect" option. When I navigate to hostname.bounceme.net I am redirected to 55.55.55.55:4000
    • A POWWEB account where I host mydomain.com, which is functioning.
    • I want to map a subdomain like mysite.mydomain.com to 55.55.55.55:4000, but since that IP is dynamic, I believe I want something like a CNAME in powweb ops configured as follows... HOST: mysite POINTS TO: mysite.bounceme.net

The problem is that I am getting an error page generated by no-ip that says "The site you have requested is currently unavailable, please try back again later." I have triple checked that mysite.bounceme.net still redirects to the working homepage on my local "server".

Any ideas? Am I understanding CNAME correctly? Is there a record I need in the no-ip DNS rather than the POWWEB DNS settings? Thanks for the help!!

Registered

Smile

Got the exact same problem. Did you manage to solve it ?

Sorry for the bump...