Thread: Critique My Site

Registered

Critique My Site

<deep breath>
    I can take it.....please critique my site

http://flutterinn.com

What is it?

When I get to the first page I have no idea what this site is. The background is way to busy and the animated GIFs look very old school/amateurish. The title of the site is lost in the background image and my main issue with it is that I can not tell what the site is for. I tried clicking on the flash vortex banner on the top and it didn't do anything and then when I clicked on one of the sets of dates I go to another poorly designed page that looks like it is for sending something, but there is no description as to what the page does.

Registered
    Seeing the home page through your eyes opened mine. The page was way to busy with vine bg and animations. Also, the title now says FlutterInn, Free Greeting Cards
    with white bg. Why do you say the pages are poorly designed? All of the information is on the card page in order to add music, bg, etc. and then to send chosen card. How do I improve design?

Thank you the comments,
    cj

The design looks dated, at least partially due to using bordered tables for all the content, partially due to the animated gifs that have now fallen out of favor IMHO. Most people now recommend using div's for content/layout, tables for data/info, and CSS for styling the various elements. I converted my website from all tables to divs a few years ago, and learned a lot in the process that has made updating/designing webpages much easier to do now. I would recommend you look into that, as it gives you infinite layout possibilities. The site also has no navigation; everything seems to run through the home page. I would take the headings from your card categories to form most of the navigation for the site, then have the navigation on every page for a consistent look and feel.

Registered
    I'm just a beginner and don't understand some of the terms that are being used. I can say that I do have a drop-down box on each page with all of the card categories listed so that a person can go from one page to another without returning to the home page.
    I did take your advice and removed all border tables. I will also be removing the "Reagan" words that are under the FlutterInn title.

Thank you for the help