Thread: Bandwidth Limits?

Registered

Bandwidth Limits?

Hello PowWeb people,

A quick question about the bandwidth limitations in place (please don't say they're unlimited :P).

I'm considering moving our fan site away from a beefy VPS (which was fun to mess around with, but extremely expensive), however I'd like to make sure that shared hosting can support my site, and not get suspended at PowWeb's discretion (terms of service).

Assuming my site takes up the following amount of bandwidth (inflated by 2x):

Upload bandwidth:
    96,000 KB/day

Download bandwidth:
    7,500,000 KB/day

Should be about 225 GB/month download and 2.8 GB/month upload.

Would this be within the expected limit for a shared hosting site? Keep in mind these values are twice what I actually have, but I figured it'd be best to increase it.

How much bandwidth can I expect within reason?

This post may help, from Croc. It's a year old but I've not seen this raised as an issue for a while.

You're no where near in real terms (due to you doubling reality), although 225 and 300 are close so you should monitor the situation closely.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

More importantly than bandwidth.. how much CPU, memory, and SQL queries per busy hour will your site utilize. Those 'caps' are more likely to cause a problem.
    Autoload
    WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot, Over?

Script uploads count as bandwidth traffic, FTP uploads don't. In any case if you are uploading 2.5Gb of new content per day you will run out of space in two weeks. I think your site will work fine here but will fast outgrow the hosting. I would stick with VPS Chris.
    Croc Hunter MSC :