Thread: Prestashop

Registered

Prestashop

I'm using Prestashop on Powweb, and thought I'd start this thread for anybody else that is using it and needing advice or has suggestions.

The Prestashop forum is great but there are times when an issue is host specific, so let's see what we can do here to help each other along.

And your first Powweb host specific tips would be...
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Registered
    My biggest tip from my own limited experience is that Powweb offers Prestashop as a pre-installed option. Use it, even though you can get a much more recent version from the Prestashop website.

If you install Prestashop via FTP it will give your shop a crazy URL that is actually a filepath. And definitely not friendly. And you won't be asked.

You can paste over that URL using domain pointing, but it's a crude fix that won't let you take advantage of Prestashop's friendly URL re-writing.

You can try for some other fix, but when did I was caught in a loop with the Powweb people saying it's a Prestashop issue and Prestashop saying it's a Powweb issue.

I never figured out who was right.

If you use the pre-installed Prestashop, the second or third question it asks is what URL it should use - at which point you can specify your domain.

After completing install, you can then use the newer version from Prestashop to upgrade.

The other thing to be careful of is the popular Prestashop module called Automatic Prestashop Backup. I don't advise buying it and trying it in the Powweb environment.

I couldn't get it to fully function, Powweb couldn't and Tomerg who wrote it couldn't either - and not many people know more about Prestashop than him.

After a lot of trial and error I could get it to actually make back-ups, but none of the module's other functions wanted to play ball. Which means you can't really trust it, and trust is important in something called automatic back-up.

I still think it's an issue with the PHP in the module, but really don't know enough to have a strong opinion. I just know it works for hundreds of others, but not here.

I almost came begging to you for help Croc Hunter. But in the end decided I was a big boy, could do my own back-ups, and gave it a quick blow to the head to put it out of its misery.

Did you look in ini or cfg files to see if the URL was placed in one of those?
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

Registered
    Hi Ian, I think you are referring to the first issue of establishing a URL with Prestashop?

I didn't and I don't know if the guy I hired from Prestashop for help did either. I can see your logic though.

I know of other people on other hosts that are having a similar prob with Prestshop, so I'll slide this suggestion over to their forum too if that's OK.

I got around it because Powweb rode over the horizon with a pre-installed Prestashop at just the right time.

I only know enough to be dangerous of course.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigMeade View Post
    I only know enough to be dangerous of course.
    That makes two of us - two million!
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

If they are seeing this on other hosts as well, I wonder if the PowWeb install puts in a .htaccess that redirects it to the root URL.

Registered
    I will ask at the Prestashop forum what's going in that regard, the regulars are usually quite helpful in terms of looking under the hood. I will report back here if I get a quality answer. I'll probably need somebody here to interpret it anyway.

Would looking at my .htaccess reveal the answer?

I am slightly baffled that such a fundemental question like URL choice would only exist in the pre-installed option.

But the expert I did have helping me seemed to be mystified that my Prestashop didn't somehow automatically take on the correct URL - like he had never been presented with the problem before. And he installs and migrates Prestashops as part of his business.

So I'm not quite sure what's going on and frankly ran away screaming last time I got close to the question. But I will gird my loins etc and dig into this and see what I get back from Prestashop in case it's useful in someway to anybody else.

Thank you for the clue.

Registered
    Here's a solution that requires editing the .htaccess file. Reports say it works. [But in our case, just using the pre-installed Prestashop is always going to be more direct]

# Copy and paste the following code into the .htaccess file# in the public_html folder of your hosting account
    # make the changes to the file according to the instructions.
    # Do not change this line - RewriteEngine onRewriteEngine on
    # Change yourdomain.com to be your main domain.RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www.)?mysite.com$
    # Change 'subfolder' to be the folder you will use for your main domain.RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/prestashop/# Don't change this line.RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-fRewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    # Change 'subfolder' to be the folder you will use for your main domain.RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /prestashop/$1
    # Change yourdomain.com to be your main domain again.
    # Change 'subfolder' to be the folder you will use for your main domain
    # followed by / then the main file for your site, index.php, index.html, etc.RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www.)?mysite.com$RewriteRule ^(/)?$ prestashop/index.php [L]