Thread: Download Counters and Statistics

Download Counters and Statistics

My site is an online ministry, and as such I like to track which sermons/files are being downloaded.

The problem is that I've used some very popular trackers, such as CCount, and although they work fine for anywhere from weeks to months, suddenly it seems that their control file goes missing, and that takes down the entire download section and results in a "That ID Does Not Exist!" message. Fortunately, that one has backup/restore capabilities and when I notice it, I can put it back.

Now, I'm willing to put considerable work into fixing this with a 'final solution' but am not a proficient programmer in any language, although I've learned to modify PHP code somewhat by following examples of others. Does anyone know of a totally "bullet-proof" way of counting file downloads? My current one, CCount, uses a php-redirect like:

http:// (my path)/cc/sermons/click.php?id=xx ( x= ID number of the DL)

to serve the file and count it to a text file, which it then tallies up in a nice admin display. I don't care if the file is served directly, or redirected. I just need a totally reliable solution.

Any suggestions? Different scripts that you have used for years that work wonderfully or anything like that?

As always, many thanks to the group!
    Mark
    Last edited by mrmagill; 9-26-11 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Typo
    Mark R. Magill
    Word for Life World Ministries
    Free Christian MP3 music, sermons, DVDs & more.

I use Ccount myself, have for years, and have not had any similar issues. I'll take a look thru the ccount code and see if there is anything, interesting.
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Quote Originally Posted by snowmaker View Post
    I use Ccount myself, have for years, and have not had any similar issues. I'll take a look thru the ccount code and see if there is anything, interesting.
    Thanks, Bruce, I'll be awaiting your reply. It's just so totally unusual that it would work so well for so long, and then 4 times in 2-3 weeks that -one- specific file that kills the whole thing should disappear, and in my line of work that's a huge hit to my purpose.

I have a backup plan to link an auto-generated-html file of direct links that will be a link on my DL page or custom 404 page that says "If you have trouble downloading something, click here for direct file links" or something along that line. Couldn't hurt.

I even changed my already-strong FTP password, just out of paranoia....
    Last edited by mrmagill; 9-26-11 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Clarification

Registered
    I used CCount for a while also, then one day all the stats went poof. Since then, I stopped using it. Since it uses a txt file, they cannot be locked so this happens once in a while, so their forum said. It is a shame, because that was a great script.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    I used CCount for a while also, then one day all the stats went poof. Since then, I stopped using it. Since it uses a txt file, they cannot be locked so this happens once in a while, so their forum said. It is a shame, because that was a great script.
    Well... that's sad. But it DOES make me feel better in one respect to know that it is not likely something that I personally did that caused it.

If it were in one of the ancient languages I used to write code in, I would set up an IF NOT EXIST (ELSE) branch and test for the presence of the file. Seems like it would be fairly easy to write -two- copies of the control file whenever it is updated, one called ccount.txt and ccount-saf.txt or something like that, and restore the backup to the main position if it were missing. Something on that order....

Anybody know of a bullet-proof one that maybe uses SQL or something for better protection? I don't really care HOW it works, as long as it is reliable.
    Mark R. Magill
    Word for Life World Ministries
    Free Christian MP3 music, sermons, DVDs & more.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Hey there Gunner, you said that you stopped using it, what (if anything) did you switch to, and has it been reliable?

Autoload
    WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot, Over?

I use the one Autoload suggests; it seems to have issues with Chrome though, doesnt work

I've been using www.extremetracking.com for some years on my blogs as it's free and I've never seen it fail. You can go private with the premium version.
    Never trust statistics unless you fiddled the figures yourself!

www.seawitchartist.com