Thread: upgrade phpBB help

upgrade phpBB help

Trying to upgrade phpBB from php2 to php3 using the old database. Installing from Simple Scripts. Can someone shed some light on how to proceed?

Installing phpBB 3.0.9 (Stable) to http://www.*******.net/b****d
    Conflicting Database Tables Exist
    It looks like the database you have selected has existing tables that conflict with those for this installation. Please select a clean database for use, an alternate table prefix, or clear any conflicting tables (listed in debug below).
    Show Debug (beta)
    [07 Oct 09:11] Archive upload success.
    [+0.543s] Install utility successfully uploaded.
    [+0.454s] Response from http://t****p.powweb.com/s*******all.php?s=1: status:262|debughpbb_banlist already exists, phpbb_config already exists, phpbb_confirm already exists, phpbb_disallow already exists, phpbb_forums already exists, phpbb_groups already exists, phpbb_posts already exists, phpbb_privmsgs already exists, phpbb_ranks already exists, phpbb_search_results already exists, phpbb_search_wordlist already exists, phpbb_search_wordmatch already exists, phpbb_sessions already exists, phpbb_sessions_keys already exists, phpbb_smilies already exists, phpbb_topics already exists, phpbb_topics_watch already exists, phpbb_user_group already exists, phpbb_users already exists, phpbb_words already exists

Rick
    Did you check the upgrade docs at http://www.phpbb.com/support/documen...uide/index.php
    Rick Trethewey

Will have to address this issue in a bit.

I can't install a fresh version of phpBB right now as it is blank. Tech support installed and confirmed that the install gives only a blank screen. So as of this minute I can't install a fresh clean version and then fix to use the old database. Waiting on tech support right now!

Thanks for the link. Hopefully I will get to use it soon.

OK, Tech support has fixed whatever was wrong and the new phpbb is up and running.

But first problem I have run across when trying to follow the direction listed in the link above is this. Directions say: "To begin the conversion visit the install folder of your phpBB3 installation (the same as you have done for installing). Now you will see a new tab Convert. Click this tab."

This makes no sense to me. How do I "visit the install folder"? The only install folders are "install update to 3.08" and a folder called "install_old". I have "visited" these folders via ftp. What does visit them mean? I do not have a "convert" tab?

Rick
    "Visit" generally means to use your browser to access the page/folder online, and I would assume the idea is to proceed through the install process. But if you're unsure, be sure to back up your database before proceeding. phpBB has an active support forum where I'm sure they could give you some good advice. Good luck!
    Rick Trethewey