Thread: MediaWiki - Content Encoding Error on 404 Pages

Registered

MediaWiki - Content Encoding Error on 404 Pages

I'm having an error on any pages that are regarded as 404 pages.
    Firefox reports the error as a "Content Encoding Error"
    "The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression."
    I tried a few other browsers, all of them had similar issues.
    I have the site running on 2 servers, my development server and the live server, it's only happening on my live server, my dev server has no worries with it at all.

Website URL: http://www.opensourcedoof.com/
    Faulted Page: http://www.opensourcedoof.com/index....tle=FaultyPage

Dev Server:
    MediaWiki Version: 1.17.0, PHP: 5.2.12 (apache2handler), MySQL:5.1.37, OS: OpenIndiana. Pretty much a stock standard AMP install.

Live Server:
    PowWeb Hosting. MediaWiki Version: 1.17.0 (Database/Files copied straight from the dev server), PHP: 5.2.17 (cgi), MySQL: 5.0.91-log. HTML Headers also reveal it's running Nginx / Varnish.

The first thing I did about this was to telnet to the server and see what was happening behind the scenes. Here's the full output: http://duklabs.com/Stuff/OSDError/osdError1.txt
    Besides missing the <html> tag at the start, it's a pretty plain 404 page.
    On the Dev Server, everything works as expected, you see the proper 404 page asking the user if they want to create the page etc.

I figured maybe because it's sending the 404 header, that something on the hosting could be kicking in and messing with it, so I went into the source for MediaWiki and changed the line:
    Article.php: $wgRequest->response()->header( "HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found" );
    to: Article.php: $wgRequest->response()->header( "HTTP/1.1 200 OK" );

This results in the website working fine and pages loading OK.
    Now, I can't leave that as 200 OK, because bots will see it and think it's a legit page.

That information seems to point to the problem being on powwebs end, with them interfering and trying to override the 404 error page with their own (though note, the page they're trying to deliver isn't like their normal 404 error page which has ads on it). Or that their web server is ignoring the function in the HttpFunctions.php file that tells the webserver to let MediaWiki handle 404 pages.
    I contacted my web host and told them the above information and they said the problem must be on my end.

So, is there anything wrong on my end?
    Could I change the 404 error to be 200 OK so that the error pages load?
    Is there a setting I've completely glossed over?
    Could there have been any issues with grabbing the files/database from one install and slapping it onto a different web server?
    How could I let powweb know that the problem is on there end (if it their fault)?

Thanks,

Dustin

page took a very long time to start loading, then it did load without error, but it took at least a minute. You could contact support! The forum is not an official support channel.

Registered
    I did contact support, they said they could not help with this issue and that I should contact the software vendor

I tried your 404 page, and do not get an error there; sorry I misread the first time through. I get a page that says:

Page Not Found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please try the following:

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.
    Click the Back button in your browser to try another link.
    Use a search engine like Google to look for information on the Internet.

then there is an ad with links

Try turning on custom error pages in OPS. The ad page looks similar to those served by Powweb as a default 404 page now.

Look through these forums for further help.

This is the most recent thread on the topic of Powweb provided ads
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

Registered
    OK, I've gone into Ops, .htaccess editor and then set a custom 404 error for the pages as:
    Website directory: /htdocs/osd
    404 Error -> index.php.

This seems to have resolved the issue.
    Interestingly enough, redirecting 404 errors to index.php *shouldn't* have fixed the error, but it seems to have overridden whatever is causing it to break which enables mediawiki to handle the 404 properly.

Thanks for the help Ians and co

Dustin