Thread: Wordpress 3.3 500 internal server error

Registered

Wordpress 3.3 500 internal server error

I've been looking around the internet and can't seem to find a solid answer. Initially I installed wordpress on a domain i own (but don't use for anything) today to make a test run of wordpress as an ecommerce solution for another website of mine. I installed wordpress through simple scripts or whatever it's called and it was fine, then i put an ecommerce plug-in into it (WP e-commerce), then I updated wordpress and then it didn't work any more and gave me the 500 internal error code, for both the domain itself and the admin area, nothing is accessable.

I uninstalled and deleted it several times, also installed the previous version of wordpress (3.2.1) that also didn't work.

Then I started searching, so I went to the error log, error log says this repeatedly:

PHP Warning: main(includes/application_top.php) [<a href='function.main'>function.main</a>]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /hermes/web06/bEXAMPLE/pow.EXAMPLE/htdocs/index.php on line 13

Where it says EXAMPLE is my account info.

PHP might as well be Chinese to me, I make my websites with good old HTML but am considering moving over to this CMS and I was actually LIKING it until this happened.

Can anyone tell me what to do so it works again?

EDIT:

Something worth mentioning, I have multiple domains on my powweb account. For some reason this just popped into my head because for some reason I remember this being an issue also with zen cart or agora where there was a folder in my root (like with wordpress it's "home") and it can't be there it has to be in the actual folder for the domain.

I guess I'll just call them.
    Last edited by Kilo_G; 12-28-11 at 06:19 PM.

PowWeb Staff
    It sounds to me like the plug-in may not have been compatible with Wordpress 3.3, as that's when the site seems to have 'broken', based on your description. I'd try doing the installation, then upgrading to 3.3 to make sure that works, then trying to add the plug-in - after making sure the plug-in is compatible with that version.

I'm afraid if that is the case, we won't be able to provide much help in support, as we can't assist with problems resulting from the use of third-party plugins. If the base installation works, that's about as far as technical support goes.

Registered
    Well. I don't really know what went wrong. I called powweb. Before calling them, as I have previously mentioned, i installed and uninstalled the script, several times, then I uninstalled it before I called.

The lady told me the script wasn't working because it wasn't installed to which I responded that I was fully aware it wasn't installed, so i installed it again while on the phone with powweb and it didn't work.

The woman on the phone [support rep's name removed] I believe she said was her name, told me to hold on. So I held on for 10 or 20 minutes. Then she said you're all set, I said "what sorcery did you use to make it work, what did you do?" she told me "I just installed the program sir" I said "ya, but how did you get it to work?" she said "I installed the script sir". Bear in mind this women also told me when I asked her "what country are you in?" she said "In the building" I said "What? No, no, what COUNTRY are you in?" she said "Sir I am IN THE BUILDING"

So what was the fix? Beats the hell outta me, but apparently I have an Idian/indo-asian lady "in the building" that can fix the problem.
    Last edited by snowmaker; 12-28-11 at 09:36 PM. Reason: support rep's name removed