Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Critique my site please

  1. #1
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    cedar rapids iowa
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0

    Critique my site please

    I'm sorry, on my first post I did not state that Powweb does NOT host my site. I use apache from home to get my site out there.
    I just wanted some truth, no matter how harsh, that would open my eyes to a better way of doing things. Like becoming crossbrowser compatable.
    I'm not selling anything or going blog crazy...just put up thingsI enjoy, and to share with others.
    www.mikalz.com

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Rick
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    1,753
    Rep Power
    19
    Start by buying a conventional hosting package. Your site was inaccessible when I just tried to check it. If you want other people to visit and revisit your site, you'll want a much more reliable setup than home hosting can provide. Even a free host would be better than what you have, but commercial hosting is dirt cheap these days and you get Email and technical support included. For less than $10/month, it's a no-brainer. Good luck!
    Rick Trethewey

  3. #3
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    cedar rapids iowa
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0

    Firewall setup

    That's strange because you are the first that has told me you couldn't even view my site. I don't know enough about computers to tell you the reason why, I just think that maybe you are blocking ip addresses like with a firewall or something. Sorry.
    I have gone thru Y web hosting and it was a nightmare. Everything I posted they told me to take it off my site. They finally deactivated my account. That's why I went to apache. Not that I know anything about copyright laws, I just thought I could put out there what I wanted...like music videos, or audio books and whatnot with apache.
    I'm really not that knowledgeable when it comes to the whole file sharing thing, but I'm learning.
    Thanks for your post
    Last edited by IanS; 3-17-12 at 02:52 PM. Reason: removed comptetitor name

  4. #4
    Former Spam Filter (EU) IanS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Washington (THE original UK one!)
    Posts
    12,964
    Rep Power
    30
    I don't think you need to be an expert to understand that if you didn't make the original music or video (that is video yourself or play the music) then it is copyright material and you can't post it online without paying the ones who did or without getting their permission.

    You couldn't host it on a Y. site nor would you be allowed to host it on Powweb or most other places. The copyright holders to some music are getting very agressive in tracking down and taking to court (and winning!) anyone who hosts material that they shouldn't. I hope you have a multi-million dollar war-chest to fight in court- they do!
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

    I am a customer just like you!!

    Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

  5. #5
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    cedar rapids iowa
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0

    File Sharing

    Ok lans, if sharing files is to be made legal, do you have to have a register page for members who would have to sign in to view your goods? Like my people in California who download my mp3's and whatnot. Is there a legal way to fileshare? I mean youtube lets you post their videos on facebook or your site right? So just showing them on your site shouldn't be a problem. But the audio books and mp3s I can see where that could be a problem.
    I'm just gonna have to read more before I get shutdown...I can live with getting rid of a few things.
    Last edited by shadeofpale; 3-17-12 at 05:24 PM.

  6. #6
    Former Spam Filter (EU) IanS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Washington (THE original UK one!)
    Posts
    12,964
    Rep Power
    30
    Sharing of files isn't illegal, many companies share the product of their work via Word or other files. What is illegal in many areas is sharing of other peoples work such video pop and mp3's.

    I'm no legal expert, I'm even in a different country to you, so I'm not offering legal advice here.

    YouTube and others have sophisticated ways of checking the sources of files and deals with the big copyright groups to do what they do. All I'm saying is be careful. Having a membership system and a registration page will reduce problems. If you allow others to post their videos etc then get disclaimers put all over your site and waivers from them.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

    I am a customer just like you!!

    Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

  7. #7
    Thinkin' out loud again Builder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,088
    Rep Power
    19
    A very good, basic primer on copyright laws and the internet written in non-legaleze:
    http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

    And as Ian said, I'm not a legal expert, but one thing stuck out as I read that article for the first time in several years (emphasis is mine):
    in the 90s in the USA commercial copyright violation involving more than 10 copies and value over $2500 was made a felony.
    Good luck,
    Kevin
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
    but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn... that was fun!"

  8. #8
    Custom User Title entrecon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,742
    Rep Power
    17
    When I just tried to access the site it took a while and then failed. However, when I did an F5 it did load.

    If you are hosting from your home machine you may want to check the ToS for your provider as well. To keep traffic levels at a reasonable level, some cable companies have policies against hosting sites on your home computer.

    Another note, when you tie it to your home computer, it reveals information about you that you might not want shared.

    unless I am mistaken, it looks like you might be in Robins, IA and using Mediacom to get your internet access. If this is the case, then you should know that according to their terms of use:
    The Service may not be used in conjunction with routers or servers, including Electronic Mail, NAT, DHCP, DNS and WEB servers
    ________________________________
    Find me on twitter: @entrecon

  9. #9
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    cedar rapids iowa
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0

    Good Article

    Man, that kinda puts it out there fairly clear. So...looking over my site I am going to have to get rid of the audio books, movies, and mp3's. I can embed a player that visitors can listen to whatever album, just don't offer it for download. I've gotten permission for the Artwork before, on another site a few years back. So I should get permission again I hope. And the music videos are from youtube, which allows you to put them on your site.
    So what do you think? That should cover the copyright paranoid trip I'm on?

    Thanks for pointing me to that article!!!

  10. #10
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    cedar rapids iowa
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by entrecon View Post
    When I just tried to access the site it took a while and then failed. However, when I did an F5 it did load.

    If you are hosting from your home machine you may want to check the ToS for your provider as well. To keep traffic levels at a reasonable level, some cable companies have policies against hosting sites on your home computer.

    Another note, when you tie it to your home computer, it reveals information about you that you might not want shared.

    unless I am mistaken, it looks like you might be in Robins, IA and using Mediacom to get your internet access. If this is the case, then you should know that according to their terms of use:
    Yes, Iv'e been thinking of getting back into a webhosting site to publish my site. I do feel unsafe hosting from home. Thanks for your info!

  11. #11
    Thinkin' out loud again Builder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,088
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by shadeofpale View Post
    I've gotten permission for the Artwork before, on another site a few years back. So I should get permission again I hope. And the music videos are from youtube, which allows you to put them on your site.
    So what do you think? That should cover the copyright paranoid trip I'm on?
    If you have specific, preferably written, permission for the artwork you should be OK. AFAIK just linking to copyrighted material is fine as long as you don't give the impression on your site that it is yours. So linking to a YouTube video is probably not gonna put you in prison.

    Again, I'm not a lawyer and have never played one on TV (telly for you Brits), so take anything I post with a mondo grain of salt.

    Good luck,
    Kevin
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
    but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn... that was fun!"

  12. #12
    Former Spam Filter (EU) IanS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Washington (THE original UK one!)
    Posts
    12,964
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by shadeofpale View Post
    Man, that kinda puts it out there fairly clear. So...looking over my site I am going to have to get rid of the audio books, movies, and mp3's. I can embed a player that visitors can listen to whatever album, just don't offer it for download. I've gotten permission for the Artwork before, on another site a few years back. So I should get permission again I hope. And the music videos are from youtube, which allows you to put them on your site.
    So what do you think? That should cover the copyright paranoid trip I'm on?

    Thanks for pointing me to that article!!!
    My understanding would be that allowing others to listen to 'whatever' albums would require permission as well. They do need to download it to hear it, even if you're using streaming software. Otherwise why would radio stations have to pay so much royalty fees when they play on their websites. (Again, taken from my understanding of British law - not too dis-similar to US law as portrayed in the media.) This is not legal advice!

    Kevin, we've taken the American 'culture' to heart now and call it TV as well. So much for progress
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

    I am a customer just like you!!

    Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

  13. #13
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    cedar rapids iowa
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by IanS View Post
    My understanding would be that allowing others to listen to 'whatever' albums would require permission as well. They do need to download it to hear it, even if you're using streaming software. Otherwise why would radio stations have to pay so much royalty fees when they play on their websites. (Again, taken from my understanding of British law - not too dis-similar to US law as portrayed in the media.) This is not legal advice!

    Kevin, we've taken the American 'culture' to heart now and call it TV as well. So much for progress
    I have a program called wimpy that pops up a jukebox thingie to where you can listen without downloading any mp3s. Or a player for that matter.
    Yeah I'm kinda tripped out over this whole thing...already started a new site and am going to make sure I can stay legal. Websites are really fun for me, and at 60 yrs old I need something to keep my brain ticking lol.
    I appreciate all of you that have reviewed my site...ty

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •