Thread: Error messages in FrontPage

Registered

Error messages in FrontPage

I created a website about ten years ago using Frontpage 2003 using the FrontPage Book so I know no languages. I just found things I liked and copied and pasted them into FP. I'm starting to update the site and am getting an error in FP but not on my site on the net.

"An error has occurred in the script on this page: Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?" Whether I click yes or no twice it goes away.

http://www.dougsstuff.com/Error_message.JPG

My first line is <html>

I can not see the Milonic menu I'm using on FP although it shows up on my site.

I have downloaded the "index.html" that's working on my site but doesn't help with seeing my menu on FP.

I'd like to be able to see my menu in FP so I can see my edited changes although I have another monitor so I can make changes in FP, upload them and then see the results on my other monitor.

Thinkin' out loud again Builder's Avatar
    The error message is telling you that the error is in the 1homepage_menu_array.js script, not in your index.html. But I am also getting an error in Opera on your page that states there is a problem with a script named "browser.js". I'm not smart enough to tell you what's wrong with either or both scripts, just telling you where to look.

As far as the "Milonic Menu" goes, you have 2 scripts that call up a "Milonic Menu":
    Code:
    <SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="1homepage_menu_array.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>
    <SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="mmenu.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>
    Maybe a conflict between the scripts?

As an aside, you have a lot of "legacy scripts", for lack of a better term, in your index.html page. One of them checks to see if the browser is Netscape. That browser hasn't existed in a number of years and is used by maybe 10 people in the entire world.

Good luck,
    Kevin
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
    but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Registered
    Thanks for the post Kevin. I think what I'm going to try to do is see what Milonic menu they have today matches up with the old one I have and try to cut and paste from the old script to the new one.

PowWeb Staff
    You should also note that FrontPage has not been actively supported by Microsoft since 2005, and as a result is increasingly incompatible with modern hosting environments and website needs.

I would strongly recommend you move to an updated application, as we can not guarantee for how much longer PowWeb will be able to support FrontPage server extensions going forward. They're basically obsolete technology at this point.

Registered
    2005 is about the last time I used it. Is there something like FrontPage that you would recommend that uses wysiwyg that also doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Since my site is for my enjoyment and sharing info with my friends.

I looked into WordPress but just don't like the rigidity of the themes.

Thinkin' out loud again Builder's Avatar
    http://kompozer.net/

No experience with it at all, although it's been recommended many times on this forum.

Kevin
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
    but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Registered
    I'm trying to use a background in the cells of a table on my site and the jpg pic loads about 3/4 down on my page and then the pic starts over. I'm (still) using FrontPage but I assume (ops!) that a table is a table. Anyway can I stretch the one jpg to cover the whole page no matter how far I scroll down?

Registered
    Got it, just kept making the the jpg bigger.

PowWeb Staff
    I did use Komposer in the past, and quite liked it - it was certainly easy to use. Since it's free, nothing to be lost by downloading it, giving it a whirl and seeing if it suits your needs.

Most of my sites these days are built using CMS. I don't mind the rigidity, since I am happy to hack the theme and beat it into whatever shape I need.

Tables...you are using tables?

Like FrontPage most things have moved away from using tables and the current standard is to use DIVs and StyleSheets.