Thread: Looking for why my site is slow

Registered

Looking for why my site is slow

My site is hosted by powweb.

I have noticed lately that the site has slowed down. It uses Joomla 1.5 and several addons such as a forum, on-line shop and a table containing nearly 300,000 names. The plan is to upgrade to 1.7 (or later) once all the extensions are available.

Recently, I have moved the facility to search the 300,000 names off the home page so that it does not load every time the home page loads. This was my reaction to a site suspension levied by my host for excessive MySQL queries and may or may not have been an appropriate action to take.

After using FireBug's net app, I removed a random image module off the home page as this was adding about 5 seconds to the load time (dependent on the image).

The home page takes about 5 seconds to load after these recent changes. Firebug reports:

39 requests; 43.7 KB, (43.7 KB from cache), 241ms (onload: 5.09s).

Google Analytics data (pre the latest changes) show page load time in the US average 8.36 seconds. Most of this time (5.2 seconds) as attributable to 'Avg server response time'.

From the UK, the average server response time rises a little to 6.4 seconds.

Question 1: Is there anything I can do to reduce the average server response time?

Question 2: Any comments on my site would be welcomed.

With thanks
    David

If you're a worldwide operation then hosting at Powweb is very good, if you're a UK/Europe only operation then consider the journey the signal/data takes for every European visitor - it finds a trans-atlantic node, crosses, travels up or down the US then finds the server. Once that is done, the results all have to be sent back via the return journey. If load times are important to you/your business then consider a server nearer home with an alternative host. If you're also hoping to attract visitors from Africa/South Africa then the same journey applies to their data - except it may also travel further within SA and within the US
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

39 requests for a homepage is still too high.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Registered
    Ian,

I understand what you say and choose the US as the host for my site as the location offering the best all-around performance. If the load time reflected the geography I found be content but this is not the case.

From Google Analytics the average load time in seconds is shown in this list:

1. Ireland 4.42s
    2. New Zealand 5.31s
    3. South Africa 7.62s
    4. Canada 9.66s
    5. United States 11.55s
    6. United Kingdom 11.95s
    7. Australia 20.06s

I would have distance from the host to be correlated with speed to an extent but is that too simplistic a heuristic?

With thanks
    David

Registered
    Joomla websites need alot of optimization for websites to load fast, i don't know about powweb hosts how work but on most big shared reseller hosts joomla will load slow because it require fast and server with low usage. Check cache, check modules, check optimization, don't load too many posts in blog section and don't insert too many widgets. Check how widgets are designed and code is optimized before activate them. and you can use gzip compression and memcache if host allows. Use debug option to see how many requests are when opening page and to debug your site to see where is problem with slow loading.

And you can use this website to test your website speed. http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/

Your website is opening fast, only response time to go to website is little slower. Check your htaccess file, or better try to turn off all seo in joomla admin and check again. otherwise it might be some setup in your admin account or server dns.
    Last edited by IanS; 5-2-12 at 06:47 AM.

I haven't updated it in a while, but I have my Michiganbrides.com Joomla site hosted here on PowWeb and don't believe tehre is much of a delay. (you can use it for comparisson if you want)