Thread: was working, now it doesn't, pissed off

was working, now it doesn't, pissed off

hi, you probably have seen the thing 'amazon' and other sites use to grade and give punctuation to different things, something like, there are some stars (most often 5 stars), and you click on the star that represents the score you wanna give. i did something like that for a thing like a forum, where you give score to comments. it was working ok, and the only changes i am aware of i have done recently are only visual changes, no functionality. this time i have been testing the functionality and it is almost complete, and what i have been doing this time is just creating the styles, with no changes on other things. now i try the score thing again, it was working, now it does not. i thought it mat be because since i am changing appearance, i placed some elements inside tables and so on, so the path to those elements would change, but it should not be the case, since i am not passing to the scripts all paths, but just the element names, and each element has an unique name.
    i tried it in explorer and works fine (though slow, it may have something to do with the fact that now there are styles while when i first created there was none). the score thing displays some stars (not actually stars, but for the explanation), if you click on a star it will 'light all previous stars', or if you hover the pointer over a star, it will show that value while you have the pointer over that star, and show the real value once you move the pointer out. it was working fine in mozilla, now it does not work half of it; it does not change the pictures when you hover or even display the 'lighted' stars when you click over a star, just the 'empty' ones.. what the hell is going on? i have been in this project way more than i would have liked, and these kind of things, when i think something is working ok then is not for some unknown reason and just stalls this thing.. that gets annoying.

if somebody wants to check it, you can enter int his direction:

it wont let you set a score if you are not logged in, so you can use this test login
    * (<-this is a test login, and this is the test location, it wont be the real one)

i want to know, what could have done that what was working previously is screwing it now. it works in explorer but not in mozilla, though it was working in mozilla previously, and working well and fast. if you want to give a score (actually, you cant, since the score thing is disconnected from the server), but to display the score format, click over the score already given to a comment (where it says 'calificacion'); and i am aware it looks ugly, this is not my main concern at the moment, i'll change the scoring appearance later
    Last edited by VooDooChicken; 6-22-12 at 12:26 PM. Reason: edited: deleted url, will figure out on my own

Thinkin' out loud again Builder's Avatar
    Hope you feel better after venting! Also hope that when you started throwing things around the room you didn't break anything important.

I feel your pain -- been there many times.

Good luck figuring it out and getting things fixed!
    Kevin
    Last edited by Builder; 6-22-12 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Dang "smart" phones.
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
    but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Rick
    One thing that may (or may not) be affecting your testing is Powweb's caching of .css files. When you must test a live page on your website, I suggest that you include the related CSS settings in a <style> tag on your test page until you are satisfied and then transfer those settings to any external CSS file your site relies on. It can take 10 minutes or more for an updated .css file to be propagated to all of the load-balancing servers here.
    Rick Trethewey

hi, it should not have to do with css since it should have loaded with no styles but it should have loaded something at all; anyway, as i said before, i am at a lost since the only thing i am aware i have changed is precisely the styles page, and this behavior has to do is with responding to javascript events; also, if it was because of server caching, it would look the same from client side no matter which browser was i using at the time (so explorer and mozilla would behave the same).. i noticed that the first html that i made to test the scoring thing still works, even in the page i modified, so the idea is to make those scoring snippets i load via ajax to e as similar as the one i made as a test and work from there.. and to Builder, you are right, i felt better after i vented a while, though i am not sure how am i gonna end tonight after i try to fix this.. tnx

--edit--: and no, it does not have to do with loading things with ajax, i tried just as it is now, but with no styles, loading the score thing dynamically

update: i simplified the whole thing (removed all tables and layout and removed all other components from the submit score thing, like the submit link and the comment box, leaving only the 'stars') and now it works again in mozilla, i suspect (but can not assure) it was a table or something wrongly built, like a content that was not inside a td or something like that, but if that was the case, i dont understand yet why some events would get disconnected and some other not, like it would still get the 'click' but not the hoover, and would remove the 'empty star' but would not replace it with the filled or lighted one for lesser scores.. or why did it work in explorer and not in mozilla, so actually am still at a loss there, but at least the basics still work, so i will add slowly all other things to see if there is a threshold where it breaks or something like that

update: its alive! its aaliiveee!! (what was wrong, i have no idea)
    Last edited by VooDooChicken; 6-22-12 at 06:55 PM.