Thread: Changed domain names; cannot FTP to new one

Registered

Changed domain names; cannot FTP to new one

I lost my domain name (my fault for not reregistering in time) so I had to change domain names. Went from misterlinks.com to misterlinks.net. Did that today.

In Powweb Domain Central, I removed misterlinks.com (the old one) and the new one (misterlinks.net) is the only one listed.

When I login to FTP, I can do so successfully, and I see all my files. But when I try to access the website, I get the screen that says "directory has no index file".

Is this because I need to wait up to 72 hours for my files to "transfer over"? Will they transfer over to the new domain name or will I Have to re-ftp them? Do I need to change anything on my ftp login to access the new domain name?

Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

What I am seeing there now doesn't look like what I normally see when a site is moved to PowWeb and/or doesn't have an index file. This almost looks like a custom file that was placed there.

May be domain is pointing to incorrect folder

Here at Powweb we don't FTP to the top level but to htdocs. As Entrecon has said, it's not the normal 'no index' message. Have you transferred over a CMS or forum of some kind? Could this be the message from a php file? The first domain now seems to be redirected to a domain seller.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by IanS View Post
    Here at Powweb we don't FTP to the top level but to htdocs. As Entrecon has said, it's not the normal 'no index' message. Have you transferred over a CMS or forum of some kind? Could this be the message from a php file? The first domain now seems to be redirected to a domain seller.
    My first domain (which I thought I deleted) was redirected to a domain seller. But now my only domain is misterlinks.net and I can't get my files moved to it. Somehow I can connect through FTP and File Manager and I see all my files, but they aren't "attached" to the right domain.

No, I didn't transfer a CMS or forum. Just regular simple webpages.

-Larry

There is a domain name pointing tool, have you configured that?

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by entrecon View Post
    There is a domain name pointing tool, have you configured that?
    I went to the Domain Name pointing tool--

The URL setting is blank on the pointing tool and I tried typing in my url (http://www.misterlinks.net) and clicking SAVE but it didn't fix it. Home directory and Subdirectory are both set to "/htdocs/".

Somehow I think I need to get a new FTP account - is that true? Nothing in my FTP login (right now) specifies my domain at all.

-Larry

You should be able to FTP into your account via FTP://ftp.powweb.com using your FTP username in OPS. There is also the ability to FTP in using the filemanager in OPS. Files should be in htdocs and onwards.

Creating a new FTP account is unlikely to be needed, but there's no harm in trying it.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

PowWeb Staff
    Hi Larry,

Generally speaking if you have a new domain you don't need a new FTP account. The only reason to make a Sub FTP User for this new domain is if you want to lock it so that the user can only ever FTP to a specific subdirectory.
    Your issue sounds like it could be a domain pointing issue, in order to fix it you would need to know where your website files are located in your File Manager. We recommend that anything you want public to be placed in the htdocs folder as it is the default public folder. If your files are inside of htdocs but in their own directory then you would want to select subdirectory and points to /htdocs/subdirectoryname/ inside the pointing area of Domain Central.

Now if after you have pointed to the exact same place your old site was pointing the site does not load, then I can contact you via the Support Console to gain clearance to look at the coding on your page. In some cases the site was designed with hard coded links to your domain name, which would mean every image and link is hard coded to reference and pull data from your old domain. You can use the tool you created the site with to republish or you can manually go through and find and replace. If you're using a PHP application like WordPress there is a walk through on WordPress.org to update the site location in the database. There are lots of options but it all depends on what is found after pointing or if you know how the site was built already.

Let me know if you need help!
    Melissa
    Technical Support

Registered
    Issue fixed - my subdomains needed the /htdocs in them in the domain pointer. Called techsupport and they had it fixed within 5 minutes. Thanks everyone for the replies.

-Larry