Thread: Multiple Video and Photo folders on my upcoming site

Registered

Multiple Video and Photo folders on my upcoming site

Just about to start my first website. I have had them made before but now I want a new one and one I can develop myself.

I need both video and photography on the site. I do them both for a living so will be updating regularly.

I intend buying into powweb then considering using WordPress to develop the content - seems a good option but I dont know how to put it together and how effective both video sequences (probably about 10 videos to start with) and photography albums- about 10 albums with maybe 200 images in each. I also want to be able to put prices up for the pics and maybe sell online. Not sure how to do that either.

Can anyone advise the best way of doing this. Is WordPress the way to go? I am open to any suggestions. I want to get this finally done really soon.

Any advice is really appreciated. Thx

Rick
    Wordpress has the natural advantage of handling most of the technical issues for you. With thousands of themes and plugins available, there are very few things that can't be done within that platform. If you want to put a website together in a short time and you have limited technical experience in building your own websites, Wordpress is generally an excellent choice.

Where I think you're apt to find the most difficulty is finding a good photo or video gallery plugin with a sales capability. I'd suggest that you visit one of the forums over there and ask for recommendations. I'm sure that this is a pretty common need, but I'd want to hear what other people with experience with them have to say. You'll want to know which payment systems or gateways are supported and several other natty little details that only people who have actually done this will know. Good luck!
    Rick Trethewey

Registered
    Thanks very much for your insight Rick. Thats all very encouraging.
    I'll head over to the WordPress forums and check it out. I'll let you and others here know what the results are. Cheers Geoff

Wordpress is great I love it, but IMO it doesn't handle video very well even using plugins. For a photo/video site I'd look at Coppermine and some of the other big guns in gallery type CMS. These have way more image editing and layout options for you straight out of the box. It comes down to a choice between a blog that can do basic gallery stuff or a gallery that can do basic blog stuff.
    Croc Hunter MSC :