Thread: Site Map

Question Site Map

I am in the process of designing a new site. Are site maps still used and should I included one on the site. I do not know it is still required to have the page indexed. TIA Tom
    Live free or die
    www.tillitomas.com

I know that google's webmaster tools still has an option for you to link to a site map.

Rick
    First, let's differentiate between HTML sitemaps and XML sitemaps.

Of course, it's just good practice to provide an HTML sitemap for users, but they're also useful for search engines. They give you an opportunity to convey information about the content of your pages through the anchor text (ie. the text between the <a> and </a> tags, and will almost always get the pages listed included in the search engines.

XML sitemaps are exclusively for search engines, and can help them discover pages that they might not otherwise crawl or index. They're also helpful in resolving canonicalization issues - that is, determining the best URL when the same page/content is available through more than one URL. And if you regularly update the <lastmod> field, Google will often use that information to adjust their crawl schedule to fetch newly updated pages. XML sitemaps are NOT required by the search engines. They're just a helpful tool.
    Rick Trethewey